Problems connecting to internet through router

dynamo_peggy 23:27 14 Jan 2009

I have a cable modem that I used to connect to through a wired router (SMC7004br). I had to move the router over xmas so had to disconnect it all. Now I have tried to set it up again I am no longer able to connect to the internet through it as it says there is limited or n network connectivity.

Can anybody explain why and help to sort it?
Cheers.

ambra4 23:51 14 Jan 2009

Power everything off, including the Cable Modem, which must be left without power for five minutes

This is IMPORTANT so that it loses the association between the existing connection

(recognised by its MAC address) and the IP address that it has allocated to it.

After 5 minutes power on the Cable Modem and, when fully booted with all lights displayed, power on the Router.

When the router is fully up and running, power on the PC.

The Cable Modem will recognize a new connection and allocate a different IP address to the router

The router will allocate an IP address to the computer

dynamo_peggy 22:09 15 Jan 2009

Thanks for the reply ambra4, I've tried that and I'm still having no luck. Any other suggestions?

dawood 16:31 17 Jan 2009

Ensure you've enabled DHCP setting on router, also you've configured computer to obtain IP address automatically. You can also check out this wired Ethernet network setup tutorial click here to help you more.

dynamo_peggy 11:07 18 Jan 2009

The network is set up correctly. How do I make sure I've enabled DHCP setting on my router?

dawood 14:50 19 Jan 2009

Log in to your router's management page, and look for the DHCP setting. You can read your router manual to find out more info.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?