Problems Connecting to The Internet

Young Ranger 11:32 13 Apr 2010

This problem cropped up a few months ago and in the end I resorted to formatting the PC and re-installing everything. The problem is back and I really don't want to go through the formatting process again so soon.

After re-installing everything it was fine but after a few short months it has returned and seems to be getting progressively worse. Today I lost count of how many times I had to reboot before getting a connection.

I am using an Emachines E4220 which originally came with XP but now has Windows7. I never had this problem with XP or Vista. The problem has never occurred with another PC and a laptop which use the same wired connection via a Netgear router.

Any ideas please?

mgmcc 11:59 13 Apr 2010

You haven't actually detailed what the problem is, other than difficulty getting online without several reboots.

Is the PC, for example, getting a valid IP address from the router?

If not, is the "DHCP Client" service running? To check, go to "Start > Run", type SERVICES.MSC and click OK. Scroll down to the DHCP Client entry, double click it to open its Properties sheet and check that the service is "Started" and that its Startup Type is "Automatic".

Young Ranger 12:16 13 Apr 2010

That is because I don't know what the problem is. I also don't understand why it is inconsistent. It will connect first or second time occasionally but generally over time it is getting worse.

At the moment the Service is started and the Startup type is automatic. I'll check again when I boot it up in the morning.

How do I check that is getting a valid IP address from the router?

Thanks

mgmcc 17:12 13 Apr 2010

>>> How do I check that is getting a valid IP address from the router?

Open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run", type CMD and click OK) then, at the prompt, type...

IPCONFIG /ALL

...and press Enter. This will display details of all network adapters installed in the PC. The adapter with which you're connecting to the router should probably have an address starting with 192.168. If it doesn't, and has an address starting with 169.254, then it has been unable to get its address from the router and Windows has defaulted to allocating an APIPA (Automatic Private IP Addressing) one which won't let you connect to either the router or the internet.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:36 13 Apr 2010

Computers on DHCP networks often (but not always) re-establish network connectivity automatically.
Release / renew address click here

Flush DNS cache if using a Microsoft Windows Operating System (Win XP, Win ME, Win 2000)

* Go to Start
* Then go to Run
* Enter cmd
* Once in command prompt, type ipconfig /flushdns
* The operation should now be complete.

Young Ranger 18:02 13 Apr 2010

Rebooted and the PC wouldn't connect. Checked the DCHP which was started. Also checked the IP address and that starts with 192.168

I'll try Fruitbat's suggestion to flush the DNS and see what happens.

Young Ranger 18:08 13 Apr 2010

Re-booted a couple of times and it looks like flushing the DNS is the answer. I'll leave this open a couple days to see how it goes.

Many thanks.

Young Ranger 08:46 19 Apr 2010

Over the last few days flushing DNS seemed like a partial success in that I only had to reboot once to get a connection. This morning it was back to square one with more than a dozen reboots before success.

mgmcc 09:07 19 Apr 2010

If you are continually having to flush the DNS cache, then that is clearly not solving the problem. It is something that should only very rarely be necessary.

It may be that the TCP/IP stack or Winsock has been damaged in which case open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run", type CMD and click OK).

To repair the TCP/IP stack, at the prompt, type...

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

...and press Enter

(note the spaces in the command line). The original prompt will reappear, exit the Command Prompt window and reboot the PC.

To reset Winsock entries, at the prompt, type...

netsh winsock reset catalog

...and press Enter

Exit the Command Prompt window and reboot the PC. (If running both repairs, reboot only after running the second command.)

Again, this is something which should not be necessary very often, but give it a try.

ronalddonald 09:17 19 Apr 2010

Can you download from another computer ccleaner from

click here

that's file hippo dot com

onto a cdongle and then load it up on the problem computer and run the program

birdface 10:23 19 Apr 2010

Tools Internet Options.Connections.
make sure never dial a connection is dotted.Then Lan connection and make sure automatically detect settings is ticked Ok.Apply.ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?