Problems with CD writing

Birder 1 20:24 16 Jan 2006

I am trying to transfer photos to a rewritable disc, but keep getting told cannot complete the C D writing wizard can anyone help.

Softstag 20:32 16 Jan 2006

What software are you using?

Birder 1 09:13 17 Jan 2006

What software do you suggest i should use if you can name some different ones i will purchase one of them today.

Damn Machine 09:15 17 Jan 2006

Have you formatted the disc?

Birder 1 11:55 17 Jan 2006

I am using photo backup 2.3.3 but it still tells me the cd burning has failed

Birder 1 11:55 17 Jan 2006

How do i format the discs

Damn Machine 12:48 17 Jan 2006

To use CD-RWs as rewritable media thay have to be formatted so that data can be added and removed (a bit similar to a hard disc or a floppy).

My CD rewriter came with software that enables this to be done (Nero V5 in my case). I know Thinkpads cpome with IBM's own version of the same thing, and I'm sure other members are able to suggest different option if you don't have Nero.

If you're using Nero...
after installing an application (InCD is used with Nero along with EasyPacket Writing - or something like that) inserting a blank CD-RW disc will start InCD (or you can include it on your on start-up options). Go to "My Computer" and right-click on the CD-RW disc icon. You will see an option for "Format". If you want to use the disc a rewritable that can be added to and deleted from like a floppy you have to use the full format which takes about 15 minutes. In the options you will find a box for Mount Ranier format - I think it is ticked by default - this formats the disc in about a minute, but the CD-RW might not be compatible with other machines, but if you're only going to use it on the same machine its loads quicker.

Damn Machine 13:00 17 Jan 2006

Formatying CD-RW in this way reduces capoacity from 700MB to about 545MB - you can use the "Erase" option and then use a CD writing application to write to what is effectively a blank disc - this gives you what ammounts to a CD-R that you can erase and write again, but can't add/delete with.

Klof Ron 13:06 17 Jan 2006

If you are using Win XP click here or you may choose to purchase a third party burner. Nero and Roxio are two that are used most.

Birder 1 14:06 17 Jan 2006

Win XP isnt working nor is photobackup 2.3.3 how do i know Nero will work, i looked at System Manager and everything seemds to be fine

hssutton 14:11 17 Jan 2006

As I mentioned in the other thread, I never format my re-writable disks, This is done one the "fly" with Roxio, also it's possible to update files.

Nero offer a free trial click here so nothing to lose

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone