Problems with broadband signal disconnecting

Abbots 09:45 04 Oct 2007

Hi all

I am having problems with my Orange broadband signal, in that it keeps disconnecting when I'm on the internet. I'm running a Speedtouch 330 modem with Orange Broadband Home Starter and am wondering would I be better going wireless - would this help the signal? Or, would I be better changing the modem, or something else? If anyone could help I would be really grateful, as this is driving me mad and very frustrating!

birdface 09:58 04 Oct 2007

Try ,Control Panel.Administrative Tools.Services.Scroll down to DNS client and make sure it is set to Automatic.

birdface 10:28 04 Oct 2007

I am with Virgin and when we have problems we are told to switch the modem off at the main for a minute ,then turn it back on again and leave for 2 minutes before you use it again,Worth a try. Or try Network Connections,and right click Local Area Connection and press repair,See if there is any problems with that.

Dipso 10:55 04 Oct 2007

Going wireless will not necessarily make a difference as it could be your phone line at fault here. IMHO it's better to use a router especially with the high speed services now available but the Speedtouch 330 is actually quite a good USB modem.

What speed broadband is this, 1 2 or 8 Meg? Try and post your line stats from the modem. If you don't have Dr. SpeedTouch installed, download it from: click here

Once installed, there should be a new system tray icon appear. Right click on the icon and choose Advanced then Write log file to disk. It will ask you where to save the file - choose your desktop for convenience.

Once the window disappears, double click on the file called drst.xml on your desktop to view your line stats and post back here with them.

woodchip 11:32 04 Oct 2007

Set Outlook Express to check for mail every minute

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?