Problems with Belkin Wireless Router?

Goofyish 12:25 01 Feb 2009

I have Virgin 10Mb Broadband and when I connect my modem direct to my desktop PC I get a very good 9.7Mb (Broadband Expert speed test).

But when I connect my Belkin wireless router the speed to my desktop PC (wired connection) drops to as low as 0.4Mb! Wireless connection to my wife's and my laptop is also very slow.

Am I correct in assuming that the wireless router is broken or could it be an internal setting problem?

brundle 13:22 01 Feb 2009

Are you switching everything off for a minute or two before swapping between router/computer? You must do so. Turn on modem, wait 1 minute, turn on router, wait another minute, then turn on or connect computers. The modem associates with the device connected to it the last time it was switched on.

steve hill 15:24 01 Feb 2009

brundles advice is sound had a similar problem setting mine up, I can now get up to 20 meg on my laptop through the wireless router. are you using a router provided by virgin as these come ready configured which should dismiss a router problem. there is a reset button on the side if you think you might have changed router settings.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?