Problems with a barcode scanner... any ideas?

DIYgirl 12:27 29 Dec 2007

I've joined Library Thing, in order to help me catalogue all my books.

click here

I decided to get a barcode scanner to scan in the books, to speed up the listing process.

As most of my many books are downstairs and my computer is upstairs, the Cue Cat scanner that most people at Library Thing seem to use was not an option for me, as I've got far too many books to carry them all up and down the stairs between my computer and my bookshelves. So I bought a Microvision Flic scanner from eBay. The Flic has now been superceded by the ROV scanner, but here's a link to the manufacturer's website anyway:

click here

The Flic will, according to other Library Thing members, allow you to scan up to 500 items and store it on the scanner, then later, attach the scanner to the computer to download all the scans. However, I've got a problem with it.

Installation instructions give a trial barcode to scan, during installation. The Flic scanned this perfectly; I then tried it out on the nearest barcode I had to hand, which was the barcode on the bag that the scanner's cable came in. It scanned that perfectly, too.

The next barcode I scanned gave me the bleep which meant it had scanned properly; but the number which appeared in Excel was that of the cable.

Since then, it scans and bleeps as it should, but the only number it outputs is that of the cable, regardless of what barcode I've scanned.

I've tried downloading the scanner wedge again; uninstalling and reinstalling it; taking the batteries out; and reconnecting the serial connecter. Nothing changes.

Bah! What can I do? I have a rare whole day to myself today, and can't catalogue ANYTHING!

howard64 12:44 29 Dec 2007

was there an option to change the barscan code? most use type 39. Is there a manual to download with perhaps additional instructions or a forum etc.? Maybe an unistall and reinstall?

DIYgirl 13:10 29 Dec 2007

Thanks, Howard, but I've all ready tried a reinstall, and have re-downloaded the software. No difference. This is so frustrating!

BarcodeSolutions 19:52 05 Mar 2008

I've had a similar problem. After I set the scanner back to factory defaults it seemed to work fine. I found it very important to have a relationship with my <A HREF="click here" title="click here" TARGET="_new"><b>barcode supplier</b></A>

BarcodeSolutions 19:55 05 Mar 2008

lets try that again...

I've had a similar problem. After I set the scanner back to factory defaults it seemed to work fine. I found it very important to have a relationship with my barcode supplier.

click here

BarcodeSolutions 14:27 12 Mar 2008

click here for help with your barcode scanners

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?