Problems with Ashampoo AntiSpyWare 2

prydeiniwr 15:15 09 Oct 2008

Have any of you tried Ashampoo AntiSpyWare 2?

If you are considering it be careful there are problems with it.After downloading the trial I ran into problems - it is a very troublesome piec of software and will pester you to purchase even before you have had time to evaluate it. I does this several times daily.
After deciding it was more of a nuisance than a potential benefit I removed it via Control Panel.
That wasn't the end of it each time my PC boots up a window stating that Ashampoo AntiSpyWare 2 is starting occupies the screen. I contacted Ashampoo and Digital River both of who were unhelpful. The only advice was
"Reinstall and then uninstall once again."
It failed and they have not answered any of my subsequent Emails.
They appear to care little about customer care.
I'm only grateful that I didn't purchase - buying trouble would be really foolish when you can get it for nothing.
Has anyone any ideas ofd how to remove it?
I am no expert I have removed the obvious files from the registry and altered start up items but it still persists.
No software producer had the right to harbour nuisance devices on anyone's personal computer.

Be warned Ashampoo AntiSpyWare 2 is TROUBLE

Prydeiniwr

rawprawn 15:21 09 Oct 2008

Reinstall it and then uninstall it using Revo Uninstaller in Advanced Mode
click here

prydeiniwr 15:36 09 Oct 2008

Hi Rawprawn,
Thanks for responding, yes that should have worked and is exactly what Digital River has said.
However I have tried it repeatedly, it failed each time. The obvious files have been removed from the registry but the problem persists.

In fact immediately before you offered your idea Ashampoo once again replied with the same advice. You are right, it should work but somehow the windows keep appearing.

Halmer 15:39 09 Oct 2008

start/Run/type msconfig then OK it/Startup tab

prydeiniwr 15:46 09 Oct 2008

Hello Halmer,
Well I did that to and just to make sure I have just checked.
Guess what it was still there and re-checked and installed on a partition that I did not isntall it on.
However as I have installed un-installed and re-installed I may have overlokked it on the last occasion but I certainly only downloaded it onto my drive C: & NOT onto E: as well.
I will now reboot and see if the problem persists.

Thanks for your help.

rawprawn 15:58 09 Oct 2008

Have you any other Ashampoo programs? if not I can only suggest searching the registry manually and deleting each one you find.
Backup the registry first in case o any mistakes.

To search the registry go to Start> Run and type regedit and then OK, Click on Edit and select "Find" type Ashampoo and click find, delete anything it finds then click Find Next and carry on untill it is finished.

BACK UP THE REG FIRST
In the registry Click on File > Export> save as "reg backup" where you can find it.

rawprawn 15:59 09 Oct 2008

It looks as though your problem is solved by Halmer

prydeiniwr 16:04 09 Oct 2008

Well between you both you pointed me in the right directions. I have attended to all you suggestions and maybe - just maybe the problem is resolved. I was very surprised to see Ashampoo AntiSpyWare 2 installed on drive my E: there were two installations - now deleted.

Rawprawn & Halmer many thanks for your help and time.

Prydeiniwr

Halmer 16:04 09 Oct 2008

I would run the registry cleaner in CCleaner click here and delete any entries that are obviously Ashampoo related.

prydeiniwr 16:45 09 Oct 2008

CCleaner didn't find anything neither did a complete computer search so I hope that you have both cracked it. It's great that there are such helpful people out there.

Many thanks Rawprawn and Halmere

Best wishes

Prydeiniwr

prydeiniwr 16:54 09 Oct 2008

I have just rebooted once again and all seems clear however there are still indicators of residual files in msconfig Start Up.
Any explanations? Or should I rest happy that the annoying pop-up windows have been tamed?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017