Problems with AOL

Big Roger 5 22:11 13 Mar 2007

Is any one else having problems with AOL. I am losing my connection more than I like, this has got worse since AOL has been taken over.

Roger

computerboy 08:59 14 Mar 2007

I have

provider 2 10:38 14 Mar 2007

There has been a noticeable slow-down but in my case I cannot say for sure whether AOL is to blame. By that I mean on one occasion simply switching off the wireless router, then on again after 2mins seemed to cure the problem.

provider 2 10:43 14 Mar 2007

However, nothing seems to cure the 12.30 to 1.00 and 4.30 to 5.00 slow-downs.

rdave13 11:13 14 Mar 2007

Got hold of "pc booster" copy that was hidden in a corner somewhere. Just for the heck of it I ran it and it said it was "optimizing" my internet connection. Did that alright and it stopped me downloading properly and connection was bad. Tried it's restore function but no help. So I downloaded DrTCP click here and changed the MTU to 1400. Good connection now and doesn't drop. Needless to say PC Booster in bin :)

provider 2 11:29 14 Mar 2007

Rdave13, Interesting to know that worked. It looks like the sort of thing that should be treated with some caution.

rdave13 11:47 14 Mar 2007

Agreed. The MTU should be 1400 by default with the AOL's software and I do not recommend anyone to play around with it without proper research first. I don't like "optimizer" programs at best but being curious and having rediscovered this old disc I had; I gave it a go. Burnt fingers lol.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?