problems with anti virus software

podlod 12:11 24 Sep 2011
Answered

Hi, let me tell you a story. I once had a anti virus software called Microsoft security Essentials, but I wanted to try Avira as I have heard good reports regarding this free software. I removed MSE and downloaded Avira which worked ok! Appearing for no apparent reason, a box now appears on my pc reading, an error has occured in the program. Try to open again, If this continues,you will need to re-install Microsoft Security Client.error code: ox80070715. I did this and no result. I re-installed MSE and removed Avira as I thought this may make a difference, but no! Now I have error probs everywhere, even with my keyboard!! I cannot afford to lose any more hair as I am nearly bald now! Do I re-instal Microsoft Client, Essential, Avira, ?Windows

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (Build 2600) Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702 Memory (RAM) 3328 MB CPU Info AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 925 Processor CPU Speed 3055.9 MHz Sound Card VIA HD Audio Output 2 Display Adapters ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series | ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD Monitors 1x; Plug and Play Monitor | Plug and Play Monitor | Screen Resolution 1024 X 768 - 32 bit Network Network Present Network Adapters Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport CD / DVD Drives 1x (F: | ) F: HL-DT-STDVDRAM GH22NS40 Ports COM1 NOT Present Mouse 16 Button Wheel Mouse Present Hard Disks C: 139.7GB | D: 232.9GB | E: 298.1GB Hard Disks - Free C: 110.3GB | D: 216.0GB | E: 295.9GB USB Controllers 7 host controllers. Firewire (1394) 1 host controllers. Manufacturer * American Megatrends Inc. Product Make * System Product Name AC Power Status OnLine BIOS Info AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 06/17/10 | 061710 - 20100617 Time Zone Pacific Standard Time Battery Status No Battery Motherboard * ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A79XTD EVO IP Address 192.168.1.76 | MAC Address BC-AE-C5-B6-62-B8 Host Name BRIANPC SM BIOS 2102

johndrew 12:21 24 Sep 2011

MSE, or part of it, is still functional on your PC.

I suggest either you remove Avira, reinstall MSE and then attempt to uninstall MSE using Add/Remove again or read this and try to do it manually.

From what I gather you are not the first to suffer this type of problem uninstalling MSE.

lotvic 12:36 24 Sep 2011

Did you stop MSE running before you uninstalled it? if not then bits will be left over.

It sounds as if the program is trying to start but as there is now no .exe file it can't so it gives you that error.

Have a read through http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2435760/ which lists the registry entries also do a google for 'how to uninstall MSE'

gengiscant 14:09 24 Sep 2011
Answer
  1. Download MSE from the website and save the file on the Desktop.

MSE

1. Open Command Prompt through RUN or Start Search by typing CMD hit enter. If you are using Vista right click on CMD and select "Run as Administrator".

2. In the Command Prompt console type: CD %USERPROFILE%\Desktop <- Hit ENTER

3. Type: msse <- then hit the TAB button.

4. Depending on your Operating System, after hitting tab it should either appear as any of the three below:

mssefullinstall-x86fre-en-us-xp.exe

mssefullinstall-x86fre-en-us-vista-win7.exe

mssefullinstall-amd64fre-en-us-vista-win7.exe

5. Now put a space in between the whole line and put /U as seen below:

mssefullinstall-x86fre-en-us-xp.exe /U

mssefullinstall-x86fre-en-us-vista-win7.exe /U

mssefullinstall-amd64fre-en-us-vista-win7.exe /U

6. Hit ENTER and this should uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials.

7. After the uninstall you can now attempt installation. It would be best that you restart your system first after the uninstall.

podlod 18:04 24 Sep 2011

Hi, thanks for all your responses. I have now re-installed MSA to my pc, but will have a try tomorrow in finding another free Anti Virus software. I am only trying to get the best AVS for my pc, so if you think there is better than MSE i would really appreciate the suggestion, otherwise I will stay with MSE.

Nontek 19:02 24 Sep 2011

Personally I don't think you can beat the Free MSE. I use it, as do all my friends.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:49 24 Sep 2011

If your using XP home then I recommend Avast

Mike_tech 13:50 14 Oct 2011

Try to use another relible antivirus.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?