Problems after trying to delete Win32/Patched Virus

Evolution 12:54 14 Jan 2012

Hi,

Recently hit by the Win32/patched virus.

Tried to remove it using AVG but despite being found and quarantined warnings continue to be flashed up every few seconds.

Unfortunately, I deleted the entries that were quaratined by AVG and now my usb ports are not recognised and as a wireless adaptor utilises one of them, I cannot access the internet.

Looks as though I've deleted some crucial registry entries in my enthusiasm to delete the virus.

1. How can I restore my registry to how it was before?

2. How can the win32/patched virus be completely eradicated, preferably automatically using an executable and not by manual means.?

Many thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:43 14 Jan 2012
  1. System Restore

2. Run malwarebytes

KRONOS the First 13:45 14 Jan 2012

Using system restore will only work if you restore before you got the virus.

A bit of reading here: Removal.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:14 14 Jan 2012

you could also restore to when you had the virus but your other progrms were working i.e. before you used AVG

and then use malwarebytes to remove the virus.

Evolution 15:54 14 Jan 2012

Can't restore.

When I select system restore I just get a dialogue box stating "System Restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer and then run system restore again"

Have restarted several times, retried but the same message appears.

Any more ideas?

Secret-Squirrel 16:22 14 Jan 2012

Evolution, as you're unable to get System Restore working in Windows's Normal mode, try this:

1) Restart your PC and immediately start tapping the F8 key quickly till the Boot Options menu appears.

2) If you're running XP, select Safe Mode and try System Restore again.

3) If you're running Vista or 7, select "Repair Your Computer" then follow the prompts until you arrive at the "System Recovery Options" screen. You'll find System Restore is the second option down.

If possible, choose a date and time that pre-dates your infection, and if the restore completes successfully, you should find that your PC's completely back to normal.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?