Problems after system repair

Hetti 09:43 01 Feb 2011

Hi all
WIN Vista home basic

I did a system repair on brother PC as the PC was unable to find or install win updates.
The repair went fine and was able to go online to find updates 93 to install, updates started and got as far as update 24 (a framework update) it stayed on that update for abt an hour, so I thought it had froze and decided to cancel them and try again, however just as I tried to stop the updated I got a message saying "IE has encounted an error and will close".
Now Im getting message saying wireless network is not available,he uses D-Link Router.
I spoke to D-Link they suggest it may be a network card issue driver,as I can acsess the interet intermidently, he also said all drivers for the D-Link are built into the Router and I will not need to download drivers for that.

Any help greatly apprecaiated (getting desperate)

robin_x 11:13 01 Feb 2011

Any restore points you can hop back to?

Download updates. Deselect the faulty one so it does
not install.

Install a few at a time. Make more restore points in between each batch.

Others will advise better on connection issue.

woodchip 12:09 01 Feb 2011

Have you tried deleting the connection then make a new one, in Control Panel/Network Connections

Hetti 16:32 01 Feb 2011

Thanks Guys,

robinofloxley
No restore points to go back to,the problem updates were framework 2 and 3.5 (service pack related I think), however I left brother doing the updates and it now states these were sucsesful so I will see tomorrow when I go back over there.
woodchip
I have not tried your suggestion will do so tomorrow if you think it is needed after I relate the latest message I recieve on booting the PC
It says
"The procedure entry point apsGetInterfaceCount could not be located in the dynamic link libary wlanapi.dll"
I entered it into search box and the results seem to say it is related to service pack downloads.
Can someone put me right here? Im not a techie by any means but want to help brother who doset hav much spare cash to pay for an engineer to look at the PC, but I dont want to make things worse eithier

Hetti 16:35 01 Feb 2011

Forgot to ask if the updates have suceeded is it likely to fix this problem?

woodchip 18:47 01 Feb 2011

Hetti have a read hear, hope you have the OS CD for the PC as it will be on that click here

"If you have the CD"! in the Run Box you can type
SFC /SCANNOW it should find and fix the file if its missing or corrupt

Hetti 07:28 02 Feb 2011

woodchip
Thanks for that, I only have a recovery disk that came with PC, Win was preinstalled no disk supplied, will the recovery disk do the job?

woodchip 11:59 02 Feb 2011

Then try it without the disc, as it depends how the OS was loaded when you first got the PC Files may already be in the i386 folder

Hetti 13:11 02 Feb 2011

woodchip
I did that and a little black window opened but it was gone in 2secs, could not see anything on there, is this the norm?

woodchip 13:14 02 Feb 2011

no it normally works through the disc check, looking for corrupt missing files

woodchip 13:16 02 Feb 2011

When you say Repair, how did you do the repair?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires