problems after failure to power down

rwp77ox 21:58 26 May 2007

I have an Athelon2400 on a Asus A7N8X motherboard, 1500mb ram running XP SP2.
About a week ago I clicked on shutdown and walked away. 10 mins later when I passed the computer next it was displaying a light blue screen, the one you get after it displays the "saving your settings".
over the past year or so it has stopped at this point on several occasions and will hang their untill the power is turned off!
So when this happened last week I thought nothing of it and turned off the power. now it seemes that the registry has been screwed begause nothing works. System restore cannot be openned because it does not recognise some file or other. various proggrammes won't wotk because I an not the registered user and others just don't even start.
Tonight my wife says that when she turned on the machine last week a whole series of black and white text scrolled up before the Windows screen appeared. but she could not understand it.
I think the only option is a complete format C re-build, but does anybody have any brilliant ideas
Thanks

Stuartli 22:04 26 May 2007

Try running

sft /scannow

(type the above into Run, note the space, and have your operating system CD handy).

If this doesn't work, you could try an XP Repair (if you use XP). See:

click here

or

click here

rwp77ox 22:15 26 May 2007

thanks Stuartli

My machine did not come with afull copy of XP, I have a secret partition on the hard drive from which I can performe a "restore to factory settings reset, and a recovery disk.
Thanks Mesh!
I checked the XPrepair page you linked and It seems that won't work in my case. Will your fix still work?

Strawballs 22:21 26 May 2007

Do you have the option to make a full recovery disc from the hidden partion.

rwp77ox 22:30 26 May 2007

don't think so, The last time I had to use this feature was three years ago before Mesh would replace a broken CD burner under the warrenty.
I prformed the rebuild then and proved the fault was not my software, but their faulty hardware.
I can not remember if this was an option but the instructions they e-mailed to me at the time do not give any indication that this available.

rdave13 23:22 26 May 2007

Can you not borrow an XP disk just to run scannow?

rdave13 23:24 26 May 2007

Stuartli meant sfc /scannow.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:23 27 May 2007

You can set SFC to look at the i386 folder on your HDD so you do not need the CD.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

rwp77ox 10:54 28 May 2007

I tried to run the sfc /scannow command and was greeted by a error message and the single option to terminate the process.

Thanks guys for your help and suggestions but I think the only way forward now is to rebuild the machine.

Thanks again

Rwp77oX

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:15 28 May 2007

Something is not shutting down properly.

IS your Av set to scan drives at shutdown?

more help at
Shutdown problems
click here
click here
click here

rwp77ox 22:03 09 Jun 2007

Thanks for all the advice guys and sorry for not getting backto you but have been busy rebuilding my machine.
The secret partition did offer me the oportunity to re-install / repair windows and after 2 hours of disk activity and a restart.....there was no diference.
A complete rebuild and reinstallation does however seen to have done the trick and it now appears to be working OK
Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone