Problems with Ad-Aware SE update and Winzip :-(

Sabi 16:25 13 Jan 2008

Hi everyone :-)

I have a problem with updating the Ad-Aware SE (free edition)!

At the moment the definition file loaded is: SE1R210 27.12.2007 but when I check “for update now” I get “No update components available” !!! However the “status” is ok in green!

I have looked in Lavasoft web site for new update and found SE1R212 07.01.1008, which I saved it on my desktop for download. However when I try to unzip or extract it , I get "Winzip" small window to purchase the product!!

I went to Winzip website for free download and found 3, one of which was for "standard Winzip” When I continued with typing my name, e-mail address etc, I noticed there was a cost for 50 Euro in last vertical column!! So I stopped! I only want to use it for updating Ad-Aware SE and don’t like to pay for it!

Does anyone know how I can get Winzip free? Or how to get the new Ad-Aware SE update?
I am not very technical with computers so please give simple instructions. Thank you :-)

Sabi
PS: I use windows XP, Zone Alarm SS V7, Ad-Aware SE 1.6r1, Window Explorer 6

VoG II 16:31 13 Jan 2008

I don't understand why Windows won't unzip it but try click here

p;3 16:42 13 Jan 2008

a shot in the dark BUT, as support has been withdrawn for Adaware se for platforms on Win 98 and ME ,might beg the question , HAS Lavasoft withdrawn ALL support FOR adaware se?
As you are running XP you may need to consider Adaware 2007

brundle 16:44 13 Jan 2008

Another vote for 7Zip here. Your version of Adaware is out of date, why are you still using it? click here

p;3 16:53 13 Jan 2008

some comments (among many)click here
click here

seems many are dissatisfied with the decision by Lavasoft to withdraw the adaware se product and ,
if I read this right, seems adaware se is 'defunct' now for ALL computers ::((

stylehurst 17:10 13 Jan 2008

If you want to update the SE version then you will have to download the latest definitions file called defs.zip & dated 07/01/2008.
You unzip this file to replace the existing defs file in the Adawre folder.
The process works I have just done it for my machine after getting the same message as yourself

Sabi 19:14 13 Jan 2008

Many thanks for all your replies

VoG; I didn't know windows could unzip file! Sorry not so good with software’s!
Incidentally; is there a known web site I can download from? I couldn't open that :-(

p;3 and brundle; Is Ad-Aware 2007 7.0.2.5 as good as Ad-Aware Personal SE? And if I want to download that do I need to get rid off AA SE first??

Stylehurst; the problem is that I cannot unzip or extract defs.zip!! As I mentioned; Winzip is asking for the software to be purchased which I don't want to pay!!!

Sabi :-(

Sabi 19:19 13 Jan 2008

Many thanks for all your replies

VoG; I didn't know windows could unzip file! Sorry not so good with software’s!
Incidentally; is there a known web site I can download from? I couldn't open that :-(

p;3 and brundle; Is Ad-Aware 2007 7.0.2.5 as good as Ad-Aware Personal SE? And if I want to download that do I need to get rid off AA SE first??

Stylehurst; the problem is that I cannot unzip or extract defs.zip!! As I mentioned; Winzip is asking for the software to be purchased which I don't want to pay!!!

Sabi :-(

brundle 19:21 13 Jan 2008

7zip click here

Uninstall the old Adaware version first.
click here

VCR97 19:49 13 Jan 2008

Yesterday I did the same as you did, on three computers. Today, they are all back to SE1R210. Looks as if that update didn't "take".

Sabi 20:31 13 Jan 2008

Thanks so much brundle :-)

I have saved 7zip on my desktop but when run and finish; I don't see any icon on the desktop!! Is that normal??

There is an icon for Winzip in system tray but I think is the old one, the one which asking to buy it!

Thanks again :-)

Sabi

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?