Problem with XP repair..help please

bof:) 13:14 24 Mar 2006

Hi All, this morning on booting up I got the following message:

File missing or corrupt...System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys

Start windows Setup, select 'r' for repair and follow the instructions.

I tried to reboot and got into safemode, then tried to run chkdsk....nothing happened.

After rebooting again I couldnt get into safe mode but got the, corrupt file message again.

I loaded my XP disk, but upon following the instructions, when it asked for the Admins password I hadnt got a clue. I do not emember ever setting one.

If I left it blank I got the following c:\windows.. what do I type in after this?

Then when I turned pc off again, chkdsk ran and pc booted up so I'm backing up like mad and am worried about turning pc off.

But how do I run windows repair? What do I type in after c:\windows??

I'd like to know so I can do a repair and prevent the missing/corrupt file message appearing again.

Many thanks Mike

rawprawn 13:26 24 Mar 2006
  rawprawn 13:28 24 Mar 2006

There isn't an Admin password by default,so unless you made one just hit enter

rawprawn 13:30 24 Mar 2006

You could try a system file check first which may work and is easier go to Start/Run/type sfc /scannow hit enter (Watch the space between sfc and /) you will need your XP CD.

surfmonkey #:@} 13:44 24 Mar 2006

To resolve this problem, replace the missing or corrupted Ntfs.sys file:

1. Use the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD to restart your computer.
2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to select the To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R option.
3. Type the number of the Windows installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console, and then press ENTER.
4. Type the administrator password when you are prompted, and then press ENTER. If no administrator password exists, just press ENTER.
5. At the command prompt, type the following commands (press ENTER after each command):

cd \windows\system32\drivers

ren ntfs.sys ntfs.old

Note This step renames the corrupted Ntfs.sys file to Ntfs.old. If the Ntfs.sys file is not found, the file is missing.

6. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

copy cd:\i386\ntfs.sys drive:\windows\system32\drivers

Where cd is the drive letter for the CD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD, and drive is the drive where you installed Windows XP.
7. Remove the Windows XP CD from your CD-ROM drive, type quit at a command prompt, and then press ENTER to quit the Recovery Console.
8. Restart the computer.

Stuartli 13:59 24 Mar 2006

From the sound of it you have originally selected Recovery Console rather than Repair at the appropriate stage.

bof:) 17:43 24 Mar 2006

Hi All, I started with rawprawn's SFC option I tryed into start, run what e suggested and There was a message on the sreen saying SFC was checking that all system files where ok and in their original state (or somthing like that).

After it had done so, it whent off the screen, and nothing else happened.

Does tihs mean that all the system files where and are now ok?

I've printed off the suggestions of everyone else just in case I need them.

May many thanks for everyones help,

Mike

bof:) 18:00 24 Mar 2006

Hi All, excuse my ignorance, whats the difference between a recovery console and a repair option?

When is it best to use one rather than the other?

Mike

ed-0 18:04 24 Mar 2006

" Does tihs mean that all the system files where and are now ok?"

Yes

Try click here for a repair. This from converting to NTFS, but will do the same for you.

ed-0 18:06 24 Mar 2006

Sorry scratch that one. I have picked the wrong one.:-(

rawprawn 18:07 24 Mar 2006

Did it ask for your XP CD? If your computer is now booting up OK and your problem has disappeared then I think that the sfc option has cured it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?