problem writing to DVD-R W

palinka 16:19 24 Jul 2004

Successfully installed a new DVD-RW (Teac DV-W58G-A; on the strength of its best buy rating in last month's pc advisor) thanks to help in this forum. A check of System properties>device manager shows it there, but when I try to write to it (using CD)I get this same message whatever I try to write - "...the folder is marked as Read only". This happens even if I try to write a single file (which is what I've been doing just to check the DVD RW is working).
I've done a check for drivers but the system tells me its drivers are up to date (or some such response). The previous device was a CD-RW/DVD combo and came with "Easy CD creator", but there is no software with the new DVD. "Easy CD creator" seems to see the new DVD RW as a CDRW - could that be the problem? Or any other solutions, please.

Smiler 17:41 24 Jul 2004

Are you using windows xp if so this cannot write to dvd's.
You need a program such as nero 6 or you could try updating your easy cd software. As it may not recognise your drive correctly until you do.

palinka 18:30 24 Jul 2004

thanks Smiler. No, this OS is ME.

jonnytub 18:37 24 Jul 2004

invest in a decent dvd authoring suite such as the nero 6 or alike. check the software company's site for compatibility first, your recorder IS supported by nero 6 click here and of which you can download a trial version from click here

jonnytub 18:38 24 Jul 2004

sorry meant "dvd burning suite"

Smiler 18:45 24 Jul 2004

What version of easy cd creator have you got?

woodchip 18:57 24 Jul 2004

As above you need NERO Or CD Creator or some other software to write to DVD. Also if you do not change to DVD in NERO CDrw is the default

palinka 20:59 24 Jul 2004

thanks, everyone. I'll try your suggestions.

palinka 21:09 24 Jul 2004

Smiler, it's version 4.02e

palinka 21:44 26 Jul 2004

Would this Nero package be what I need - Nero 6, Suite 3 CD/DVD burning software OEM? I've found it on-line at £15.28 inc vat

palinka 21:59 26 Jul 2004

And should I expect there to be no instructions in an OEM copy? Meanwhile i'm downloading the trial version (thanks for the link, jonnytub)but it's a slow business on a dial-up. Was about to order Broadband but decided to get one problem sorted before starting on anything else!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?