Problem (?) with Word or Keyboard?

Chris the Ancient 10:19 14 Jan 2011

This isn't an end of the world problem!

Using Win XP, Word 2003 and a Saitek Eclipse III keyboard.

Middle of last year I bought a Saitek Eclipse III keyboard purely because I liked its looks and illuminated keyboard. After using it for a few days, I noticed that when using Word, any keyboard short cut involving a left Ctrl + Shift combination wouldn't work - but a right Ctrl + Shift would. This only happened using Word. Excel and Access were OK. I had the keyboard replaced. Within a few days the problem came back!

Next stage... I used Revo to do a deep uninstall of my Office suite then reinstallled it - and the situation still existed.

Used all the standard checks looking for a glitch (sfc, anti-virus, malware etc.) to no avail. I didn't bother too much, just learned to use right Ctrl + Shift instead.

Over the Christmas break, I completely reformatted and reloaded my computer. The keyboard worked correctly. Until last week! The 'problem' has returned.

If I plug in my cheap and nasty 'emergency' keyboard, that works OK - but I've not used it for more than a few minutes as a check.

Now there's one to chew over during a coffee break.

As I said at the top, it's not the end of the world; just something I can't understand. Ideas would be appreciated.

Chris the Ancient 11:35 14 Jan 2011

The Alt and Shift keys work in isolation - it's only when they are used together that the 'problem' occurs.

Chris the Ancient 11:36 14 Jan 2011

Ctrl rather than Alt!

woodchip 14:03 14 Jan 2011

It as to be a problem with the Keyboard Drivers, Check out to see if there are any updates for it

These are the Drivers for XP, you may have loaded Vista Drivers click here

Chris the Ancient 14:59 14 Jan 2011

Now that _is_ peculiar...

When I first had the problem last year, Saitek said that the drivers only loaded the bits to make the touch-sensitive volume control worked - which it did. But with a refresh of the drivers, there no apparent effect on anything else and the 'fault' was still there.

When I did the reload over the 'seasonal holiday break' I did download their drivers and it loaded lots of them! And, everything worked.

I downloaded the ones on your link, and the Ctrl + Shift options are working again (for now anyway)!

What I will do is leave that exe file lurking in a folder of downloaded drivers for the next time it's needed - if, indeed, it is.

Thanks for the help.

CtA

Chris the Ancient 15:03 14 Jan 2011

...there no apparent effect...

=

...there was no apparent effect...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?