Problem with WLAN111t.exe file

weltonrussell 19:41 26 Sep 2006

My PC hangs frequently, the cause appears to be a file WLAN111t.exe which is part of the Netgear router setup. I can't see why it should be deciding to run, using up 100% or close of the memory, at random times. I run on Windows XP. What can I do to stop this?

ade.h 20:52 26 Sep 2006

Netgear router setup??? Routers don't use any software during setup other than the option of a setup CD (which does not install anything), so I'm not sure what you have on your PC or why it's there. Adapter software?

weltonrussell 21:14 26 Sep 2006

Apprently "wlan111t.exe is a process installed alongside NetGear Wireless LAN hardware and provides additional configuration options for these devices. This program is a non-essential process, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems" I guess I'm trying to see if there is a way to stop it upsetting my PC without just deleting it.

ade.h 21:22 26 Sep 2006

That's adapter management software. Which you don't need if you have XP. XP works better without getting in the way anyhow.

weltonrussell 06:38 27 Sep 2006

Thanks Ade. In that case I'll just delete the file.

ade.h 12:36 27 Sep 2006

Check whether the software is still installed before deleting any of its files. You might have installed it without really thinking about it, just by running the setup CD for an adapter. If you delete a file, there's always a possibility that it won't then uninstall.

weltonrussell 18:47 27 Sep 2006

Not sure if I understand this properly. The software ie for Netgear is installed and I am using it, but presumbly not this particular file. If I uninstall I'll be removing all the Netgear software which I don't want. Can I just move this particular program somewhere else, so it can't be accessed (and move it back if I need it)? Alternatively do I have to uninstall the whole lot, then custom reinstall but without this file?

ade.h 20:42 27 Sep 2006

You say that you have XP; in which case, you simply don't need this software. It would be much safer to remove the software properly rather than one file that belongs to it and XP's WZC works well. I never install adapter management software on an XP system. Keep the file if you really want to, but I cannot advocate what you propose to do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?