Problem withupgraded monitor, graphics card & psu!

jezzabevan 23:45 10 Jan 2007

Just installed new Samsung 225BW TFT monitor, along with ATI Radeon x1600 pro graphics card. To cope with greater power demands alos fitted new Hiper 580W psu. Problem though is this - new TFT works fine for bit then computer freezes - no mouse action - have to reboot pc with psu switch. Then pc will not reboot for at least 5 mins despite many efforts then suddenly it will. When I remove TFT and re-attached CRT monitor all seems fine. Anyway of you wise guys got any idea what is going on? When the Samsung works it is great so ve keen to get it up, running and stable. Be tempted to think might be a power problem causing instability if I didn't now have 580W!

terryf 00:58 11 Jan 2007

First try physically removing graphics card and use mobo graphics (remove graphics drivers as well in Add/remove). That will cut one unknown out of the equation. I can't see the psu causing problems unless it is faulty (I had to upgrade my psu when I put new graphics in).

jezzabevan 07:41 11 Jan 2007

Thanks. By chance I have just removed the new graphics card and and reinstalled the old one and machine now boots up and works, at least has been for 5 minutes now! Before that had got to a point where pc would not boot at all. Sounds like a faulty grahics card?

Gongoozler 08:44 11 Jan 2007

I agree. it sounds like a faulty graphics card, or perhaps insufficient cooling of it. Also possibly, but less likely, a graphics driver problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone