Problem with wireless notebook adapter!

infoseeker 15:25 28 Aug 2006

Hi there, I am sure there must be a person or tow who could easily assist me in getting my wireless connection working. The history is like this; I am on AOL broadband "Gold", who provided me with a router "Thomson Speed Tocu 576 v6", of which the manual they did not provide, nor could I find on their website". When I installed the software, it worked with my daughter's laptop, which has the internal wireless system, and when it comes to my laptop which hasn't internal, I needed to buy the belkin wireless card, which we had made it work with difficulities but made it work finally. The problem was its wireless (my computer's) wireless function was very intermittent, keeps cutting off every time munutes or so. So we went out to buy the better waireless card, so we got Philips Wireless Notebook Adapter a/b/g, then installed the software by provided CD but I can get it goring. It asks about 1) Select your Authentication Type (This I don't have and I don't know how to get), 2) Select your Key Type if applicable (I don't know what to do here), 3) Select Suse Passphrases if applicable (same problem here) and 4) Enter your encryption Key (same problem here).
Please someone help me sort out my problem. I thank you for your assistance.
Regards
inforseeker

FelixTCat 15:56 28 Aug 2006

infoseeker,

All those options relate to wireless security and encryption. If you don't use them, leave the answers blank and move on.

Regards,

Felix

infoseeker 17:31 28 Aug 2006

Hi Felix,
Thank you for your prompt advise. I did exactly as you have suggested but it didn't do. Although I can see my network name among others in this area, and I click on my network, it still couldn't give me the access. It even indicate there is a very strong signal. Another thing is it indicates I am third connector as against the second before. I don't know if I am making sense by saying these things.
Hope to hear from you again.
Regards
Infoseeker

FelixTCat 17:59 28 Aug 2006

infoseeker,

Are you using the software supplied with the adapter? If so, right-click on the icon and, if there is an option to do so, let Windows manage the connection. Then go to the wireless network icon, double-click on it and click on View Wireless Networks. Identify yours, highlight it and click on Connect.

What happens?

Regards,

Felix

infoseeker 18:19 28 Aug 2006

Hi Felix,
Thank you again. Yes, the software in a way of CD was provided with the adaptor. Although the software was supplied with it there is no option indicated when you right-click on the icond as suggested. Maybe only the way forward is to reboot the router, which I don't want to do because this might cut me off altoger from the internet. I am using eathernet currently to talk to you from my laptop and this is the only computer I can use at the moment until my daugher returns from NY in three months time.
Regards,
Infoseeker

FelixTCat 19:15 28 Aug 2006

infoseeker,

In the software you use to manage the wireless connection, look on all the menus and options for one to allow Windows to manage the wireless connection - mine is on Advanced but yours could be anywhere.

Regards,

Felix

kdt 15:49 29 Aug 2006

have a look at kb914440 on microsoft site it may be helpful in locating network

LyubinVadim 08:56 05 Sep 2006

I want to buy ABS Mayhem F22 R40 Intel Core Duo T2400(1.83GHz) [URL=click here] on costupdate store on eBay [/URL]. My last notebook overheated permanently so how about Mayhem?
[IMG]click here[/IMG]

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?