Problem with wireless internet

msmat999 20:26 15 Aug 2008

I hope someone would be able to help me. Here is my problem:

I have just moved house and got bt broadband. I was using a wireless G USB network adaptor to connect to the router which was fine. The phone line wasn’t sorted so all I could do was connect to the router but not to the internet.

Today I was told the line had been sorted and should be able to connect to the net. So i tried to connect via Belkin Wireless USB Utility. An error message came up saying it couldn’t connect. There was a button i clicked to resolve this problem which involved discounting wireless network and then to enable it again.

During this process i thought my computer had crashed so clicked cancel. Having done this there is no longer a wireless network tab in my "network connection" folder and now my wireless G USB is no longer working.

Any help will be grateful.

msmat999 21:08 15 Aug 2008

Ps. Also i cant seem to connect to msn or yahoo messenger using a t mobile dongle that i have also just leant. No idea what i have done with the settings...

ambra4 23:42 15 Aug 2008

“I have just moved house and got BT broadband.”

Have you set up the router to connect to BT Broadband?

It is strongly recommended by All router suppliers that you use a physically connected cable
to the Router via a Ethernet RJ45 cable for router setup.

Using a wireless connected computer for setup is Not recommended to access router setup at any time.

Connect a RJ45 Ethernet cable from Port 1 on the Router to the LAN socket on your Computer

If not to sure “How to set up Lan card”

click here

Power On The Router And Wait 1-2 Min’s until it synch with your broadband ISP

Start your browser and enter the router access code, check the router manual for the correct code

Use the following Setting once you have access to the router Quick set up/ Set up Wizard page

Connection Type = PPPoA

Encapsulation Method: VCMUX

VPI: 0

VCI: 38

Authentication: Auto

Keep Alive: On

User Idle Timeout: 4320

NAT: On

QoS: On

User Name & Password that you presently use to access your ISP service

Save setting and reboot the router you should now have Internet access via the lan card

Once you can access the Internet access the router and set up the wireless network

Make sure that the wireless is Enable

You now have to set-up the Wireless Network Name the SSID address on the router first

By default some wireless router come set-up with the manufacture name as the SSID address 3Com, Linksys, Belkin etc,

You should change the SSID address to a name you want to give your Wireless Network, 452john06 / ezyclip01 etc which would allow you to easily identify your network

You should also change the Wireless Channel # the default is normally Channel 11 which most persons uses so change it to 6 / 8 this will save you having interferences and low signal quality from other network close by using channel 11

Write it down; or save on a flash drive as the same SSID name and Channel # and Security Code must be used on All wireless device when setting then up to access your wireless system

Save the setting and log out of router, make sure that you can access the router vie the wireless device and browse the Internet, if you get it wrong the router will not allow the wireless device to connect to the wireless system or allow access to the Internet

msmat999 12:06 16 Aug 2008

Hi, thanks for that. That will help my landlord set it all up as he has got it all upstairs in his bedroom.

My problem is my wireless adaptor is no longer working. Im guessing this has something to do with me disabling something when I was trying to get it connect to the router. Any idea of how fix this? I have tried reinstalling the driver for Belkin Wireless USB, but that didn’t work.

Is there anyway of adding the wireless option into the network connection folder as that is what I think I disabled during this process.

ambra4 14:12 16 Aug 2008
  msmat999 14:21 16 Aug 2008

Sorry i was dumb, i didnt see that there was 4 versions of the driver i needed. I got that workin just need to get the router working. Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache