Problem with wireless

lothlann 17:06 08 May 2007

Hi, I have a Belkin F5D7632-4 wireless router and a Belkin 802.11g Wireless PCI card.

I seem to have a problem with my internet stopping if the computer is left for more than a few hours.

For instance, if i want to download a patch or something large i will usually leave the computer while im at college. However, when i get back I usually find the download stopped and the internet not working and it takes a restart to sort this (just done one in order to get onto this site). The Windows Internet tool (which i use over the Belkin one as that one seems to cause worse disconnects) always says the computer is connected to the router with a strength of 11 Mbps and low signal.

I cant work it out as it says its connected yet nothing is happening until i reboot. Is there some sort of tiem out if the computer is idle? (expect it isnt idle as it is downloading)

If anyone can be of any help that would be great.

Thanks

Lothlann

QinesiQ 20:32 08 May 2007

Hi

Don’t know if this will work but you could give it a try esp with the low signal symptom.

Try changing the signal that your modem router is broadcasting on. It could be that another wifi signal within range of your kit is interfering and hence why your download stops.

I had similar problems which increased in magnitude with the abundance of wifi networks sprouting up around my humble abode. Since changing the channel its now fine.

You will have to access the admin panel which will be like an ip address

The default channel is usually 6.

Change it until you are happy with your signal strength.

I hope this helps.

lothlann 21:07 08 May 2007

I hae changed it various times and have found the best to be my current channel (think its 11).

Could it be a faulty PCI card?

lothlann 17:37 15 May 2007

Anyone got any ideas? I thought it might be connected to standby mode but it doesnt seem to be as i turnt that off.

mic1254 20:48 09 Jun 2007

For the last two months I have had drop out after drop out, this was after Talktalk took over the telephone line from BT. I would have to reboot and or allow time only for it to loose connection time and again. I was on th ephome to Talktalk and Belkin at least daily for 10 days.

Depending what version of the f5d 7632-4 you have update the firmware just as Belkin tell you, do not use another version in the hope it will work, chances are it will not and you may end up with a mute router

Now I understand some of the issues.

Set time between connection attempts to zero

Get your ISP to tell you what their perfered settings are, do not always believ the web sites they somtimes forget to update them. By this I mean traffic class, MTU etc, not all versions allow these to be set but if your version does them check.

Last and by no means least these beasties overheat very very easily, some pratt at Belkin has obviously forgoten about what ever Law of thermodynamics, i.e

HOT AIR RISES.

Make them work hard when laid flat and they may over heat, put them high on a shelf so as the wireless works better increases the chance of it having heat stroke.

Hang it vertically by it's two screw points and wow on a warm day it will fail, drive you to think about killing it or yourself. There are no escape holes for hot air on what becomes the top of the unit.

mak15511 21:25 09 Jun 2007

Hmm...maybe the signal dies for a seccond or so which makes the computer lose connection. But the computer then automaticaly connects back onto it. Maybe there's a fault when it auto reconnects? Or does it auto recoonect at all? Solution maybe is to temprairly move it closer to the wirless router and leave it to dowload it. If it fails again then it may not be the problem suggest by me.

MAK

MAK

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?