Problem with Windows updates and their installation

exdragon 10:08 24 Feb 2014

Hi - could someone give me advice on Windows updates, please? I'm running Win 7 Professional and the 'Install updates automatically' option is checked. When I shut down a couple of days ago, there was a message saying that there were 175 updates, which then took hours to download. When I started again, it tried to install the updates but failed and then rolled back and turned itself off. When switching on next, there was the message, 'Configuring your computer' but after it stayed at 0% for ages, I switched off (not something I usually do when faced with, 'Do not switch off or unplug your computer').

Anyone know why all of a sudden there should be 175 updates and why they failed to install properly? I started in safe mode this morning, but can see that the updates are waiting to be installed on shutdown again. Or should I just use the restore point I created prior to the updates and hope it all goes away? Or alternatively, try turning off and perhaps going through the whole rigmarole again?

exdragon 10:59 24 Feb 2014

Hmm - I just ran the Troubleshooter which fixed a couple of problems, but not all. I'll try a reboot.

Jock1e - yes, I realise that, but after all this time when a handful have been quite happily installing themselves without my knowledge, and with no problems, should there suddenly be 175?

Will probably be back later!

exdragon 14:19 24 Feb 2014

Still no joy: it got to 14% of Configure Windows updates, then Failure, reverting changes. There are still many listed as Pending or Failed when I check in the Update section.

If I do a system restore, will it remove all these, then I can change the update options to let me select as and when? At the moment, each time I shut down and then restart, I get the Configure Windows updates screen and thus go round in ever decreasing circles!

exdragon 15:34 24 Feb 2014

MechKB - thanks for the link. I have 153 noted as failed, with 99 marked pending.... I could be here forever!

john bunyan 16:41 24 Feb 2014

I recently had to reinstall W7 from a recovery partition on a relative's laptop. As it was over 2 years old there were several hundred updates. I learnt a lesson and ensure frequent restore points and I make an ATI image quite often. Difficult to know why this has happened. I suggest updating 50 or so at a time... My process took over a day, on and off.

exdragon 20:26 24 Feb 2014

Interesting. How do I just do a few at a time? And should I just do them in order, earliest first?

onthelimit1 08:54 25 Feb 2014

Have you got SP1 installed? The reason I ask is that I had a laptop last week which tried to download updates every day (then showed as 'failed' in the update log). One of these was SP1. For some reason, it failed every time - even if it was the only update selected. I had to download and burn to disk a copy of SP1. That installed, then the hundred and something other updates installed OK.

exdragon 09:14 25 Feb 2014

I don't think that's the problem. I have a feeling that this happened after I updated Microsoft Security Essentials.I reckon I'll try a system restore.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?