Problem with Windows update KB905474

Grayd 01:36 01 Jun 2006

Automatic download got KB905474 - Windows Genuine Advantage Notification. Any attempt to load this software freezes up my PC.PC also freezes on shutdown if the software is waiting to load.

I have only been able to recover by restoring to an earlier date and switching off automatic download - not ideal.

The internet is awash with registry edits and the like to fix this problem, which I shall go nowhere near, but really, why is MS issuing software that simply doesn't work?

Anyone know of any forthcoming updates to KB905474 or even, perish the thought, an apology from MS?

Gray D (may take a while to respond to answers but all help gratefully received)

Gray D

rawprawn 07:02 01 Jun 2006

click here See if any of this information helps you. There are a lot of people with similar problems on this forum and nobody seems to know the answer, On the link I have given there is info on how to uninstall. I got the update with no problems at all.

Lettervanman 11:29 01 Jun 2006

I also got the update with no problem.

Sethhaniel 13:40 01 Jun 2006

click here

looks like its effecting more ;(

Diversion 14:11 01 Jun 2006

This update was installed on my PC and told me that my system was corrupt, I ran SFC /SCANNOW and the PC would not start up after the scan. I was fortunate in the sense that I had actually done a Drive Image backup on the previous day, the KB905474 has downloaded and re-installed since and it went in with no problem.

Grayd 17:30 01 Jun 2006

rawprawn - thanks, but I had already seen that page and it doesn't help. I can't use the software and I can't delete it, so what next?

The fact that different people are having different problems indicates to me, as a former programmer, that the code has been badly written and inadequately tested.

Sethaniel's link shows that MS are failing to recognise the most basic of complaints.A quick search shows a number of people complaining about this software.

I don't understand why there isn't a high profile debate going on.

Grayd 17:59 05 Jun 2006

Closing thread as it has died

Sethhaniel 08:14 06 Jun 2006

think its passing over their heads a bit like the letter in the Microsoft's forum is passing over theirs ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?