Problem with Windows Explorer View options

Nosmas 11:44 04 Aug 2006

On my system, (XP - SP2) in Windows Explorer for folder C:\Windows\Fonts I have set the display to View > Details. However after closing WE the next time I open it the Fonts folder defaults to View > Large Icons. This also happens if I click on another folder and then return to Fonts. Even if I go to Tools > Folder Options > View Tab and click on 'Apply to all Folders',the Fonts folder still defaults to Large Icons the next time I open it, but any other folder is viewed as 'Details'.

I am left wondering if Fonts is a 'special' type of folder since most folders show the file name as one of the optional columns in the detail view. The Fonts folder name column is 'Font Name' and the View dropdown menu does not have any facility for 'Choose Details'. Does anyone have any ideas which other settings (if any) can cure this rather annoying problem?

VoG II 12:02 04 Aug 2006
  Nosmas 14:27 04 Aug 2006

Many thanks for that link which also refers to MS Knowledge Base Q813711 which I have studied. My XP Home is updated with SP2 (which MS states first corrected the problem) and all MS Updates are fully up-to-date.

Looking at the BagMRU Size REG_DWORD in both keys (Shell and ShellNoRoam)the Data column shows 0x00001388 (5000) which I assume means that they are set to MS's recommended value - presumably set by SP2. Also I am fairly sure I haven't got anything like 5000 folders on my system.

The link you gave also gave a workaround to "Reset all Folders", close the folder then re-open and customise the folder again and then 'Apply to All Folders'. Tried that but problem remains.

Do you or anyone else have any further ideas or explanations please?

Nosmas 19:40 04 Aug 2006

Any more suggestions please?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:05 04 Aug 2006

Have same problem in both XP home and Pro, still cannot solve it

Nosmas 23:01 04 Aug 2006

Sorry to hear you have the same problem; lets hope one of us can find an eventual solution. It seems to be only the Fonts folder that is affected, and as I said in my original post, I wonder if that folder is a 'special'.

However, recently I bought a Toshiba laptop for my wife which came pre-loaded with XP Home SP2 and on that system I have been able to get the Fonts folder to hold the setting to display 'Details'. I have checked the Registry keys mentioned in my second post and they are identical to those on my desktop system.

Radix Lecti 12:40 22 Nov 2006

Hmmm, I have this same issue, however it's not just relating to the Fonts folder.

I can set individual folder view preferences (my vote's for 'Detail'), however even when I select 'Apply to All Folders', the change doesn't cascade as I'd expect.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?