Problem when re-instaling Windows XP

Scorrybreck 11:20 20 Sep 2009

I am having a problem trying to re-install Windows XP on my Acer laptop.

I am using a set of 5 Acer recovery discs that I know work OK because I have successfully used them before on the same laptop. The process appears to work OK, and eventually I arrive at a message that says ‘Restore complete’. Then, when the laptop automatically reboots it goes through the usual ‘Welcome to windows’ stuff that you see when you switch on a brand new PC, inviting you to pick language, time zone etc. The first thing odd that I notice is that the touchpad does not work, although the mouse does. Then, when (optionally) invited to enter the computer name and description, I am unable to type any characters in the data field i.e. nothing happens, as if the keyboard is not working. The process then freezes at that point and I am unable to do anything other than power off the laptop. I have tried using a 3rd-party recovery disc to format the C: drive, which appears to work OK, then run the re-install process again, but exactly the same symptoms and problems occur.
Anyone got any ideas?

Technotiger 11:36 20 Sep 2009

Have you tried doing it in Safe mode?

Quiller. 12:07 20 Sep 2009

When it has loaded windows and reboots, does it ask you to put in the first kick start disk. These have the drivers on it hat have to be loaded on to windows.

Alternately you could try using a usb keyboard to see if it will get you past windows setup screens.

Using a third party disk to format the drive is not a good idea with acer machines, you could damage some of the important files needed to reinstall windows.

mooly 12:08 20 Sep 2009

Can you not access Acer Erecovery by pressing ALT and F10 at boot up.
click here

You have to have D2D recovery enabled in the BIOS but it should be by default.

Scorrybreck 08:36 22 Sep 2009

Tried Mooly's suggestion of Acer Erecovery, which semi-worked i.e. it allowed me to type in a computer name, but the process still froze at the same point. So rather than force a power-off, this time I just let it die naturally through battery exhaustion, and then it rebooted OK without going through the Windows set-up process.
Many thanks for the suggestions, guys!
Unfortunately my original explorer.exe problem is still evident, however I've started a new thread for that......
Cheers!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?