Problem when changing screen resolution

herbie53 17:11 20 Jan 2007

Hi, I have an nvidia geforce fx5600 which has been fine for a while, but recently when I change the resolution or it is changed when starting a game etc, the computer will crash, but not always. I get a black sceeen but the monitor stays on with no response to ctrl-alt-delete or anything. The only way to get it working again is to press and hold the power button until it goes off, then start up again. Occasionally it is fine but not always, is this a problem with my graphics card? it was purchased second hand off ebay but has been working fine until recently. I have a 19" widescreen monitor running at 1440X900 - any help would be appreciated.

howard64 19:19 20 Jan 2007

try turning the video acceleration off. control panel - display - advanced - troubleshooting - slide the bar to off then reboot.

birdface 19:23 20 Jan 2007

Hi go into device manager,See if there is a yellow exclamation mark on your Display adapters.May need driver up-date,

herbie53 20:12 20 Jan 2007

Thank you for your help, on the second attempt I have managed to turn hardware acceleration off (the first attempt it crashed after clicking ok) and when starting a game the same thing is happening - when it first started crashing I downloaded the latest drivers from nvidia and there is no yellow exclamation mark in device manager - it seems like a faulty card - i will try my old mx400 and see if that fixes it.
Thanks again for your help.

herbie53 13:15 21 Jan 2007

Right I've just fitted my mx400 back in and it is fine with games no crashes so it is the fx5600 which is to blame - I guess I will need to get a new graphics card.
Thank you for your help.

Stuartli 13:19 21 Jan 2007

The FX5600, IIRC, is a later card that the MX400, so should be able to cope.

If you right click on the Desktop>Properties>Settings tab>Advanced button>Adapter tab>click on Liste All Modes, you will be able to check out exactly what combinations of colour/resolution/refresh rates your card is able to support.

Diversion 17:57 21 Jan 2007

My cousin got a widescreen monitor for his computer and he was having problems with the screen resolution, he was told to set it at 600x800 and he's had no problems since or so he told me. It can't do any harm trying.

Stuartli 18:06 21 Jan 2007

It was probably because such a monitor will use WXGA upwards resolutions. See:

click here

Diversion 23:09 21 Jan 2007

Thanks for that Stuartli I'll forward the link onto my cousin.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?