Problem with web page display size

Hands72 09:59 10 Jan 2006

I have just had broadband installed on my Vectra VL 6/266 (series 7) PC which runs Windows 98. It's all fine apart from the web pages are too big for my monitor screen and I don't know how to make them fit so I don't have to keep scrolling across to read the page. Any suggestions?

DieSse 11:15 10 Jan 2006

Web pages are preprogrammed in two ways - one is a fixed size, no matter what - the other is a size that to an extent, adapts itself to the monitor (display mod actually). Fixed size ones are more common, I think - this site is an example.

To see more on the screen - which will redice sideways scrolling - you can adjust the resolution of your monitor - this will make everything on the screen smaller, so more will fit.

There is no facility for just adjusting web page sizes.

To see the current resolution and adjust it, right-click on a blank area of the desktop, and select Properties from the menu that appears.

Hands72 12:00 10 Jan 2006

coudl you expand please - it says it is adjusted to 640.480 pixels which means nothing by me! could you guide me through what I need to do -thanks

DieSse 12:09 10 Jan 2006

OK - It depends on what your monitor can cope with.

First move the slider to 800x600.

When you say OK - the monitor might give you a different display with everything smaller. If so - that's what you want. If you just get a mess of lines - just wait - after about 15secs it will just revert back.

Can you tell us more about your monitor. Make, model, type, screen size and any more info you have. do you have the manula for it? In the manual it will give you the different resolutions the monitor will run at. (the 640x480 is the resolution - and this is the lowest for any moniotr - that's why you can't see the full width of web pages - most are written for 800x600 or even higher)

Hands72 12:22 10 Jan 2006

that's great, it fits now. Thanks very much for your help.
Am assuming that's all I need to do.
thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?