Problem w/ Missing Optical Drive

jldavis 06:04 20 Nov 2007

I'm running XP Pro and all of a sudden my optical drive isn't showing up. Someone told me to clear the values for the Upper and Lower filters, then reboot. Well, I did just that and there has been no change, other than in the registry.
Then, as I scoured Google, I found this site and a previous post that included the following suggestions:

=====================
Try this first click here (download & run XP CD_DVD FIX)

Missing cd/dvd drives can be normally associated with the removal of burning software such as Nero/Roxio/Sonic/Easy CD Creator etc.
And not showing the drive in My Computer.

Firstly try resetting the DMA settings incase PIO has been selected over DMA click here

Try the below link ,if still no luck follow the Procedure of removing the upper and lower filters.

Reset the cd/dvd drives in Windows Explorer using the below tool from Doug Knox

click here

If no joy with the above fix,try the Microsoft Guided Help

click here scroll down to the Guided help download and follow the instructions.

If still no joy,follow the manual fix below.

If you have further any error codes,please post them.

Restore Missing CD/Dvd Drives

Missing cd/dvd drive
If it is showing an error code:
Code 19, Code 31, Code 32, Code 39, or Code 41
, delete the drive.

Then follow these directions for clearing the Upper/Lower Filters: (might want to print this out)

1. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key ( if Vista Start search or windows+R )
2. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
3. clicking the "+" next to it.)
4. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
5. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
6. Expand the "Control" Key
7. Expand the "Class" Key
8. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
9. High light this key by left clicking once on it
10. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
11. Please exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen

Reboot your computer

=====================

Well, I have done ALL of this and still cannot access my optical drives. =(
Granted, I did remove the registry entries first, because that's the first tip I found on resolving the issue.

Is anyone able to offer help with this? It is extremely frustrating!!!

Taff™ 06:18 20 Nov 2007

Is this a laptop or a tower PC? It may be that the drive has failed altogether. How old is the computer? If it`s a Tower I would put in another drive or try yours in a friends PC - that would eliminate or confirm the drive failure.

jldavis 19:26 20 Nov 2007

It's a tower PC, but I have a new DVD+RW drive that won't show either.

jldavis 02:32 26 Nov 2007

The drives in question are indeed good. They have now been hooked up to another computer and functioned as expected. However, I am still having the same problem on my PC.

Any other ideas?

Taff™ 05:24 26 Nov 2007

This could be one of several things. First of all you say that you have a new DVD Rewriter, did the problems start when you installed this new drive?

It could be that you haven`t installed this correctly. Check that the ribbon cable coming from the Motherboard is firmly seated and just hook up one drive. If both optical drives are on the same cable this drive should be on the end connection and set as master. (The second optical drive when connected will be on the middle connector and set as slave) If the drive is still not detected try using a different power cable from the PSU. Can you see this drive in the BIOS?

What is the rating of the PSU and let us know how many HDD drives, floppy drives and details of any graphic cards installed. It could be that the PSU is insufficient or has failed.

click here and use the Guided help solution to attempt to sort out the Upper Lower filters again. Incidentally do you get any error codes at all?

jldavis 17:45 26 Nov 2007

I had ordered some new components and a new case for my old Dell Dimension 4550. I was going to stick it into a new case, add a few things, and all was to be good. However, upon beginning to stick all my parts into the new case, I realized there was an issue with the Power, Reset, Hard Drive, etc. lights. The ones on the front of the case had a different config than the Dell's motherboard. So, I decided to think about what to do about the case/motherboard. After deciding to think about it for a longer period of time, I began putting all the components back into the original Dell case. After the original installing the aftermarket parts. This is where the problems began.
Before I began with the case transfer the original CD+RW drive worked just fine, showed up in My Computer and all.
After all this occurred I began having problems. Now, the original CD+RW drive won't show, the new DVD+RW drive won't show, and the new Seagate HD won't show in My Computer as being recognized.

Here is a list of all the aftermarket parts I've installed, minus the RAM:

Power Supply:
LOGISYS Computer PS550E12 ATX12V 550W Power Supply 100-120Vac/ 200-240Vac

Video Card:
BFG Tech BFGE73512GT GeForce 7300GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X Video Card

Second Hard Drive (original HD is an IDE)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Controller Card:
Rosewill Silicon Image PCI 4 SATA ports Controller Card- With Optional RAID function Model RC-209

As far as # of hard and floppy drives in the system, it looks like this:

2 Hard Drives
0 Floppy Drives

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?