problem viewing files on websites

P-300 22:42 02 Feb 2004

I am running 98SE, IE6...

Every time I attempt to open a link to a file on a website such as a pdf, Excel, avi, mpeg or even a Word document all I can see is complete rubbish - scrambled characters on the screen regardless of the application. I can however, 'save target as' and view the document that way (except avi), but that is not, in most cases, what I want to do. This is not isolated to one or two websites - it is across the board so to speak.

I have all the required viewers and these work fine off-line. This problem has only recently been noticed.

Has anyone any ideas on how to rectify this problem.

Thanks...

VoG II 22:57 02 Feb 2004

Try a repair of IE click here

P-300 23:55 02 Feb 2004

Tried your suggestion VoG, but received the message 'IE6 could not be repaired'!!

The details read 'Version 5.0.2919.6303 of file URLMON.dll exists, but version needs to be greater than 6.0.2800.1100'

I haven't a clue what this means or what to do next.

....I'm hoping you can tell me....!

VoG II 23:59 02 Feb 2004

Download click here

P-300 22:29 09 Feb 2004

Well I tried downloading URLMON.dll but even when I clicked to download the same problem of gibberish raised its ugly head again.

I managed to 'save target as' and had to unzip the file. The instructions told me to extract the file to "windows/system" which I tried. I chose to overwrite the existing file but when I clicked to extract an error message popped up;

"The process cannot extract the file because it is being used by another process; Cannot create C:/Windows/system/URLMON.DLL"

Again I am stuck for a way to fix and repair the files on IE6...

Is there a back door way to fix this particular file?

VoG II 22:39 09 Feb 2004

You will need to copy the file to the correct location using MSDOS or in Safe Mode.

P-300 23:26 09 Feb 2004

Hmmm, bit like fish out of water using MSDOS.

Whilst in Safe Mode, do you mean that I have to 'extract' the file from winzip to the required location? Or is there an alternative method of copying the file URLMON.dll to, I assume, 'windows/system'?

VoG II 23:56 09 Feb 2004

Sorry.

In Normal mode extract the file to anywhere, like C:\Windows

Then in MSDOS

COPY C:\WINDOWS C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM

VoG II 23:57 09 Feb 2004

COPY C:\WINDOWS\urlmon.dll C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?