Problem upgrading graphics card ATI Radeon

Inside Edge 09:47 08 May 2008

Is anyone able to help with this one?

I have a Mesh PC with Asus A8V MoBo running XP Pro.

I'm replacing an ATI Radeon 9800 XT with an ATI Radeon Sappire HD 2600 XT AGP card. The instructions are less than clear but they appear to say remove the old card, fit the new card, THEN remove the old drivers and install the new ones. On fitting the new card, and booting, I have no display at all. I've checked the PSU and it's rated at 360W whereas the new card requirements say a 400W PSU is needed. Is this a show stopper and likely to be the cause of the no display result? ...given that the card doesn't draw all the PSU power so it must depend to some extent on what other hardware you're running.

Or, should I have removed the old drivers while the old card was in, then installed the new card, followed by the new drivers?

I bought the card online, and there was no detailed system requirements data that I could find anywhere - it was only on delivery that I saw the 400W PSU requirement on the box (not in the instruction leaflet !) ....perhaps I should have bought it in a shop !?

Any guidance on the PSU issue and the correct sequence for installation will be very gratefully received.

Quiet Life 12:14 08 May 2008

I do not believe the PSU is the problem.
My HP has only the standard 300w psu yet the graphics card calls for 350w. In addition I have three harddrives, tv card etc and have had no problems.

Quiet Life 12:23 08 May 2008

Re drivers it would seem that this is a problem being experienced by a lot of people.

There is one solution at click here if you google your graphics card you will see other ways round the problem

wotbus@ 12:33 08 May 2008

Have you tried re-fitting the previous card?
Try booting without a card at all then power down.
Re-fit the new card and boot. You should get the "found new hardware" message. If you get no display at all make sure you have made all the connections (my old Radeon required it's own supply, check that you have connected this if necessary).
If you get as far as the "found new hardware" message, let windows search for a suitable driver. That will get you almost home ;-)
Then go to the ATI site and download the correct driver and just follow the installation instructions. Often during the installation procedure the old drivers are removed for you.
I don't think it's a PSU issue.

Inside Edge 13:21 08 May 2008

Thanks for your ideas gents.

I've had a look at a few threads that Google threw up. Most others seem to have either been able to see something and therefore flog away trying various drivers or, if they had a blank screen, not solved the problem.

I'll re-fit the old card and try it and also check the card slot is clean. Then I'll work through wotbus' steps. - If I boot without a card, presumably I'll have to re-enable the MoBo onboard graphics?

By the way, I did hook up the card's power supply, using a 4 pin-6 pin adapter supplied with the card. I presume this is what they intended but there's no diagram or instruction to do so inthe box !

If I can only get the old card working, should I remove the old drivers while I can see the screen and before re-trying with the new card? I'm still a little confused on the best order to do this.

Thanks

Terry Brown 13:54 08 May 2008

Does your motherboard have a 4 pin power socket, as some graphic cards require an independent power source,if so this is the type of cable you require.
click here
Terry

Terry Brown 14:00 08 May 2008

Assuming the new card is not faulty,and there is no power supply problem.
Put the new card in and restart the computer in safe mode (Often by holding down F5 when booting until you hear a clicking),select VDU mode, this will load the motherboard base settings (Very low resolution), you can then install the drivers for the card, and hopefully it will cure the problem.
Terry

Inside Edge 14:14 08 May 2008

Thanks Terry

I'll try your suggestion when I get home from work this evening.

My previous graphics card required a 4 pin power supply which came direct from the PSU to a socket on the card. I used this same supply, with the 4 pin to 6 pin adapter supplied with the new card to make the installation - it's similar to the one in your link. The new card has a 6 pin socket on it and appears to have all 6 pins heading off somewhere, but you can't really tell. The 6 pin end of the adapter only seems to have 3 of the pins active - what I'd expect for a power supply really. The fan on the new card is running by the way.

Inside Edge 09:14 09 May 2008

Short of time last night, but I tried removing and reseating the new card but still get a blank screen. No visible response if I try to boot in Safe Mode. I re-fitted the old card and that still displays fine (it's the fan that's clapped).

If I can only work with the old card, do I re-enable onboard graphics before removing the old card drivers ? I remain confused about the sequence of work. If I remove the old drivers first, I'm fearful that I'll not have any working graphics at all.

Further guidance would be very much appreciated.

wotbus@ 12:01 09 May 2008

Sorry for the delay.
Don't worry about not having any graphics at all as Windows will take care of it.
By removing your card and rebooting, the BIOS will detect you have no PCI slot engaged and will enable the on-board graphics. Similarly, when your fit the card the OS will detect the PCI slot filled and automatically disable the on-board graphics.
Even if you have no "screen" at all, just leave the PC booting and wait a suitable time after all HDD activity has stopped then power down by pressing and holding the On/Off button of your PC. Then fit the new card again and boot and hopefully Windows will install the generic driver which will do you until you install the correct one.
I suspect you have messed up your drivers situation, that's all, so get it working before you begin thinking about updating the drivers.
I am a bit concerned about your description of pins/connections etc. If the card has a 6 pin connection I would have thought you must have a 6 pin supply - perfect match. Perhaps you are only supplying power to the fan!
Maybe the problem lies with your adapter not being the correct type?

Inside Edge 12:21 09 May 2008

Thanks for that Wotbus, that's a lot clearer - I'll try it this evening.

On the power supply thing, I'm trusting that the 4-pin to 6-pin adapter included with the new card is what they expect me to use. A wiring diagram would have helped but I haven't been able to track one down. I'm left to assume that the additional connections come into play on high end cards and are redundant on my card, and the manufacturer fits a 6-pin socket on all cards for economy reasons.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?