Problem with upgrade to XP Home SP2

bluto1 21:42 14 Sep 2006

On a computer I bought recently I found an illegal copy of XP pro so I cleaned (wiped ) the HDD,Installed my old copy of 98 SE checked it was working and then used an Upgrade disc, brand new, and upgraded to XP Home.
The problem is that when I click on the "Back" or Scroll buttons I lose the page I was on and get returned to Desktop, then have to try again for the web page I was on.
Thinking it was my Broadband connection (Tiscali)
I uninstalled and reinstalled. No change.
I used the MS error reporting facility and they came back with the possibility that I had some rogue Add-ons in IE, but not so.
My first question is more in hope than anything else because I feel I know the answer. Can I use the Upgrade disc to efect a repair?
2nd. Question, Any ideas please?
Full AV checks, etc made, no result.

VoG II 21:45 14 Sep 2006

Repair XP click here

Repair IE click here

bluto1 22:36 14 Sep 2006

Haven`t tried them yet, VoG, but I`ll have a go AM. Thanks a lot.

vinnyT 12:58 15 Sep 2006

Have you tried a diff. browser Opera, my fav (click here) or firefox (click here).

For future ref. if you decide to format and reinstall anytime, there is no need to install 98se first, during the xp install process you will be asked to insert your 98se disk as proof of entitlement to the upgrade, after you have done this the xp install will continue as normal.

Hope this helps.

johnnyrocker 13:04 15 Sep 2006

try my computer/tools/folder options, open each folder in the same window.

johnny.

bluto1 13:25 15 Sep 2006

I`ve tried both suggestions and neither worked. The first one ask me to put a XPPro SP2 disc in, but I`ve got Home installed.
The second on came up with the message(after i`d clicked the Install button) "The file IEXPLORE.EXE" on Win Home SP2 CD is needed,
Please type in the path where the file is located.
Afraid I can`t do that.

vinnyT I use Google now but with my present frame of mind I`ll try anything.

johnny, I`ve done that.
I`m strongly considering saving what I can of my C drive and doing a fresh install.

VoG II 13:28 15 Sep 2006
  bluto1 14:15 15 Sep 2006

Try this, I do not have Windows Explorer on my Computer. Why? I have`nt a clue. I`m coming adrift .

VoG II 14:23 15 Sep 2006

Try my suggestion in this thread click here

ACOLYTE 14:35 15 Sep 2006

You dont need to install 98 first just run the xp update cd and verify the install when asked.

vinnyT 15:22 15 Sep 2006

ACOLYTE, which I already said.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?