problem updating AVG

palinka 09:55 18 Feb 2007

People in this forum helped me fix a problem after the big AVG update, but I relaise i'm left with a minor nuisance.
If I update AVG by opening the programme and clicking on the "Update" button everything is fine. it connects automatically and downloads the updates. (I'm on BB; OS is Me)

But when the programme tries to update by itself - ie at the times i've set it to do an automatic update - it says "Server attempt of connection establishment No1". Then the same but "...No2". The "opening connection" followed by the first 2 again, and finally an error message "the POP server is not responding appropriately.Ensure that you have specified the address of a POP server".

Didn't have this problem before the big update; any solutions, please.

birdface 10:14 18 Feb 2007

Have you got it set to download at different times or just the once,I dont think you can change the time setting unless you are using AVG Proffesional,At least thats what mine says,

palinka 10:40 18 Feb 2007

only once - exactly as it was before the mess up.
(You can set the free version to any time you like, from a list of 2-hour slots, via Test Center>scheduler, but only one such per day.)

birdface 09:18 19 Feb 2007

It looks as though it is having trouble connecting to the internet with your e-mail program.Check your e-mail scanner in control center make sure your Pop server is set right, Mine are set to automatic.Your problem should be in there somewhere.

palinka 15:37 20 Feb 2007

that's how mine is set, buteman; but the problem still persists

palinka 09:09 26 Feb 2007

Over the weekend I deleted my firewall - Sygate - and re-installed it, because of an unrelated problem and I think the updating problem is cured as a result - though I'll need to be at my desk at the relevant time to be certain.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?