Problem updated NVIDIA driver

wescliff 13:47 24 Sep 2014

Recently reformatted my Acer Z5710 all in one and the graphics obviously went back to factory version which is three years old. I have downloaded the latest driver for the card which is which is a GeForce G210M, but the installer always tells me that it cannot continue because it could not find compatible hardware. I know this is because the relevant ID for my system does not appear in any of the inf files. I have tried a few times to insert one but must be doing something wrong.

The ID I have is: PCI\VEN10DE&DEV0A74&SUBSYS02971025&REVA2\4&17EEEF41&0&0008

and the last edit I tried is: %NVIDIADEV.0A74.12A2.1043%=Section093,PCI\VEN10DE&DEV0A74&SUBSYS02971025

There could be a problem with 12A2 - I have no idea if this is right. Just copied from the line in the .inf that already had 0A74 in it.

I did not edit the strings section as the line NVIDIA_DEV.0A74.12A2.1043 = "NVIDIA GeForce G210M already existed.

Can someone please help as I am very unsure as to what could be wrong and am fearful of doing more harm than good.

I cannot find anything on the NVidia site about this issue, but they must surely be aware of it. A utility that would read my ID and create the code in the inf would be ideal.

Grateful for any help.

Ian in Northampton 16:57 24 Sep 2014

Might you do better trying to install the Acer driver for the card - or is that what you've already done?

wescliff 17:20 24 Sep 2014

It's the nvidia driver that reinstalled with Windows. But I have got somewhere. I copied the inf file for that driver from windows\system into the downloaded nvidia folder and renamed it to one already there. And the installer ran - for a few seconds. Now it needs to have the chip set driver updated before it will work. Getting a bit too complicated I think.

Ian in Northampton 20:14 24 Sep 2014

You've come across something that's caught me out in the past - install drivers in the wrong order, and you're - er - can I say 'screwed'?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?