Problem uninstalling software after uninstalling

Safi 13:37 05 Jan 2010

I have a problem with a software programme (Photomatix) I tried to uninstall due to a problem with the programme, before reinstalling.

In Add/Remove programmes I supposedly uninstalled Photomatix. Then went to website to download it again but got message saying it was already running and to close before downloading. Checked Add/Remove programmes - not there. Went into Windows Explorer - did a search and the supposedly uninstalled files were there. Moved them into program files. Back to Add/Remove programmes - not there. Downloaded a couple of freeware uninstallers including Revo Uninstaller - still didn't show up in list.

How the heck can I uninstall this software from my pc? (Using Win XP currently).

Thanks! Sassie

Technotiger 14:05 05 Jan 2010

Try the un-install again using (you might need to re-install Photomatix first)

click here

During the un-install process you may be asked if you want to re-start your computer, DO NOT re-start at this point, let Revo continue. You will eventually get the option to Select All and to Delete - DO SO. You may be given the same options a second time, again DO SO, do not be picky, just accept all that Revo chooses.
After clicking on Finish, re-start your computer.

Technotiger 14:07 05 Jan 2010

If it still does not appear in Revo's list, use the Search facility in Revo.

woodchip 14:09 05 Jan 2010

Go to Run type Regedit then go to Edit in Menu type Photomatix in the box then click on the My Computer Icon and press enter key. Delete what it find press F3 for next until you get to the End. Do not touch any other things in Regedit as it may stop your computer from working

Technotiger 14:09 05 Jan 2010

Failing all the above, go to Start>Search and look in 'All files and folders' for anything related to Photomatix, then highlight and delete anything found.

Safi 14:33 05 Jan 2010

Hi, thanks for your replies. Photomatix cannot be reinstalled because it comes up saying the program is open. And I can’t uninstall again because it doesn’t show up in the list of programmes. I cannot locate it using Revo. It doesn’t show up using the Search – tried that last night too.

Woodchip – I’m not that techy, lol – what’s Regedit?

I also tried the obvious thing of locating the Photomatix files, highlighting and hitting delete but it comes up saying they can’t be deleted (can’t recall what exactly the message was so assumed you could only delete via a proper uninstall method.

Will try again this evening though, and report back. I appreciate your help!!

peter99co 14:43 05 Jan 2010

Have you tried CCleaner yet, which can uninstall software and tidy the register?

Technotiger 14:57 05 Jan 2010

Shut down computer completely, wait at least 30 seconds, then re-start - then try the re-install again before you do anything else, you should then be able to follow the Revo uninstall procedure.

Zeppelyn 15:15 05 Jan 2010

CCleaner is a good option to try. You say it is still running, then I would open Task Manager, to open hold control-alt-del together and then click on processes and identify the program, right click and end process. Then try the reinstall and remove with Revo using advanced option.

Deekio 15:55 05 Jan 2010

Right click on the taskbar,left click on Task Manager,in the task manager box left click on applications tab.Left click to highlight Photomatix
and left click to end task.Then go through the normal procedure to uninstall Photomatix. Cheers.

Les28 16:13 05 Jan 2010

Do you happen to know if it leaves an uninstalled orphaned service running which may give the program is already running message.

Have a look at your non microsoft services running in msconfig just in case, that's click Start button, then Run, type msconfig and click OK.

Open the Services tab, put a tick in the box to hide all microsoft services, in the non ms services shown as running, is there anything that may be connected with Photomatix ? If there is it would be better to stop it in services.msc not from msconfig.

Would have thought Revo would have uninstalled it if there was a left over service running, but just an idea.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Graphic tees: 14 best websites to find your next T-shirt

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017