Problem with uninstalling MSN messenger. Help?

Loracthims 17:03 17 Mar 2004

Hi there

MSN messenger has been driving me crazy and I wanted to get rid of it altogether.

I went to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > MSN Messenger and clicked Uninstall.

It said it couldn't find it and it might be uninstalled already - did I want to remove its name from the list of programs. I stupidly clicked on Yes instead of no and now although messenger still comes up and drives me mad, its name isn't in list and I can't uninstall.

I think the initial problem was that I wasn't connected to Internet when trying to uninstall? Now that I am, I don't know how to uninstall without a name to click on!!

Can you help?

I'm using Windows Me on a PC.

Thanks.

Old Shep 17:06 17 Mar 2004

What version is it? What is it doing to drive you mad?

Loracthims 17:12 17 Mar 2004

It's Messenger 6.0

It's driving me mad just cos it's there everytime I start my computer and even when I close it, it reopens and gets in the way every time I connect to Internet.

I have used it literally once (to receive concert pictures from a friend) and just want it to stop popping up when I don't want it, so I thought I should just get rid of it.

ianeon 17:24 17 Mar 2004

Open Messenger>tools>options>general>untick the top box - This should stop Messenger opening on start up

Old Shep 17:50 17 Mar 2004

Go to Start/Run and type in msconfig click on the startup tab and when you find msmsgs untick the box and it should not load up

Taw® 18:25 17 Mar 2004

This should also help if you dont use it click here

Loracthims 17:15 19 Mar 2004

A big thank you to you all.

I 'clicked here' and cut and paste the instructions on that thread.

I seem to have already deleted some of MSN (!) so can't click on Messenger>Tools>General cos it tries to install but won't because it tells me I should install an updated version.

Anyway - the thing is it's stopped coming up now, for which I'm really grateful.

One last thing, though, I tried typing msconfig at Start>Run and now I get a box up saying I'm running 'selective startup to troubleshoot my system'. Is it okay to run my pc like that? (I did take the opportunity when in there to untick a couple of other things I don't need opening at startup).

1514 18:03 19 Mar 2004

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?