Problem uninstalling Google desktop

Pineman100 19:16 13 Oct 2007

While my wife was using her new Vista laptop, she suddenly received a message stating "Congratulations! Google Desktop is installed and ready to use!"

Since she didn't choose to install Google Desktop, and doesn't want it, I went to Start>Control Panel>Uninstall a Program and tried to uninstall it.

After the uninstall process appeared to run normally, I got an error report that said something like "Uninstall unsuccessful. Error 100".

I've looked in the uninstall program list and Google Desktop is no longer listed. I've googled for error 100 and found various things that don't seem relevant. Anyone got any idea what this error report means and whether I need to do anything about it, please?

ambra4 21:27 13 Oct 2007

Check these sites

click here

click here

ambra4 21:32 13 Oct 2007

There could still be 2 files on you computer-stealing resources

These files are: GTB.exe and GTB2.exe

You can safely delete these files and reclaim your computer,

But first, go to Add/Remove Programs and remove Google Toolbar
and Google Desktop from your computer.

Then Go to Start > Search > and search for GTB.exe and delete it.

Search again for GTB2.exe and also delete that one.

rdave13 22:02 13 Oct 2007

Another method is to re-install Google desktop and once installed go to start--all programs and use it's own uninstaller. Reboot and run the 'issues' tab in Ccleaner. click here . Make a backup initially.

Pineman100 17:47 14 Oct 2007

ambra4 and rdave13. Your help is much appreciated.

Do you have a view on whether Google Desktop is worth having? I confess that I'm not sure what it does (although I do have Google toolbar on my own computer).

ambra4 18:05 14 Oct 2007

Never use it just Google Search

"my motto is"

"If not needed don't install"

"If working leave it alone"

rdave13 18:31 14 Oct 2007

Google desktop acts like Vista's side bar. If you're running XP then give it a try. You can always uninstall it..;) Always check which boxes to tick when installing or uninstalling though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?