Problem transferring Outlook to new PC

mark-pc 14:53 26 Nov 2010

I have backed up my .pst file on my old PC with Outlook 2002 and installed it onto a new PC with Outlook 2003.

Having pasted the file into the Outlook folder on the new PC I used File-> Open>Outlook Data File > select pst-file-> in Outlook to install the data.

Emails have appeared but no Contacts or Calender.

Help!!

MAT ALAN 14:58 26 Nov 2010

click here
click here

might help...

mark-pc 15:18 26 Nov 2010

Thank you Mat, but that is exactly what I have done and its not working for me. I spent 5 hours on it yesterday!

I am wondering if it may be worth installing Outlook 2003 onto the old machine to update the data to 2003 format and then try it?

Woolwell 15:39 26 Nov 2010

Do you still have Outlook on the old pc? If so back up/export contacts and calendar separately and calling it something like contacts.pst, calendar.pst and import those files as well.

KremmenUK 15:41 26 Nov 2010

I'm thinking of not using the Open > Outlook Data File route.

Fire up Outlook 2003 with the backed up .pst file in place of the almost empty one it creates by default. It should load that one in by default without you having to point to it.

Note the 'should do' !

mark-pc 15:55 26 Nov 2010

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you soooo much Woolwell! Thats done it. But that method is not what is described on the Microsoft Forums? In fact the social.microsoft forum specifically says dont use the Import/Export method.

Can you explain please??

This has turned a 5 hour nightmare into a 5 minute job!

mark-pc 15:58 26 Nov 2010

Can you maybe suggest a resolution to this one? i keep my emails on ISP and having installed emails into Outlook, the new installation is attempting to download them again?

Woolwell 16:23 26 Nov 2010

Not sure I can explain why. Sometime MS products seem to be a law unto themselves.

However if you had stated that all of your e-mails were on your ISP server I would have told you to transfer only the contacts and calendar. I am not sure how to get round this problem now. How many are there?

Woolwell 16:26 26 Nov 2010

Have you told Outlook 2003 to leave a copy on the server?

mark-pc 16:28 26 Nov 2010

Yes I have.

Woolwell 16:29 26 Nov 2010

You may need to run the trial version click here.
First time download headers only may be an easier way to sort it out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone