Problem transfering 6.9GB file to ext hard drive

ATB61 01:29 29 Aug 2008

I'm trying to copy a 6.9GB .avi file from my internal hard drive to my USB ext HD but I get an error message saying that it exceeds the 4GB allowed. Why can a file bigger than 4GB be stored on the int HD but not on the ext HD? Is there anything I can do to get over this problem? Thanks

I am Spartacus 01:56 29 Aug 2008

It's because your external hard drive is formatted in FAT32 which has a 4GB file limitation size. Convert the external drive to NTFS and you won't have a problem.

MCE2K5 02:22 29 Aug 2008

Read this click here

rawprawn 07:20 29 Aug 2008

Do as I am Spartacus says, I had exactly the same problem when I forgot my external drive was FAT32

ATB61 10:25 29 Aug 2008

Thank you all for your suggestions. I've read the MS Help and Support page and it seems relatively straightforward to convert to NTFS. I don't understand why the hard drive was sold with a default FAT32 format when it has this 4GB file size limitation. Why not use NTFS straight away? Are there any drawbacks to NTFS for ordinary use i.e. storing videos, photos and documents?

I am Spartacus 10:37 29 Aug 2008

I think they use FAT32 so it's compatible with older OS and Apple systems.

The only drawback I can think of with NTFS is that you must use the 'Safely Remove Hardware' option each time you disconnect while Windows is running. It can cause problems if you don't. After saying that FAT32 might also have the same problem but I never use FAT32 so can't be sure.

Jak_1 12:06 29 Aug 2008

You do not have to use the 'Safely Remove Hardware' option on disconnecting unless windows is still writing to the drive when to not use the option would mean losing unsaved data. Once the data has been writen to the drive you can unplug it whenever you like without damage due to not using the option.

I am Spartacus 13:00 29 Aug 2008

Not 100% sure about this but I understood that the NTFS transactional file system frequently writes to all disks.

grace2009 13:38 29 Aug 2008

May be you have not removed the access properly. If not clear please contact some netwrok administrator....

hastelloy 13:38 29 Aug 2008

as I have seen drives corrupted by being removed without. I have also known many occasions when permission has been denied although it it not obvious that the drive is in use. I prefer to be safe that sorry.

I am Spartacus 13:56 29 Aug 2008

I've asked myself but don't know why I'd want to remove access to it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?