Problem with Too Many Adverts

Hercules02 14:54 15 Oct 2006

Hello Everyone
Can you help please ? When my wife uses the PC under her user name, she is plagued with loads of adverts. If Im user, I can go to the same web pages and it doesnt happen.
We have Norton Security set to block ads and pop ups. We have Windows XP home SP2. Ive scanned for viruses and spyware and the system reports clean.
What can I do please ? Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Totally-braindead 15:06 15 Oct 2006

Perhaps the security settings are somewhat different for your wife under Internet Explorer or the pop up and ads are disabled or allowed when your wife logs on. I would check there first.

Hercules02 15:41 15 Oct 2006

I have checked the security settings and made them the same and that doesnt help. Also I tried switching off add and pop up blocking for me in Norton Security and I still dont get all the ads that my wife is getting, so I guess the problem is elsewhere, but where?

Totally-braindead 15:46 15 Oct 2006

Have you tried Firefox?

Hercules02 21:02 16 Oct 2006

It seems that Ad Blocking was somehow switched off in my wifes user settings for Norton. Although it can be set to "on" again, this doesnt change anything unless its done by an administrator.
I got round this by making the limited account into an administrator (temporarily) and I was then able to get Ad Blocking working again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone