PROBLEM SWITCHING TO NEW MODEM

mogymodem 08:41 14 Jan 2008

A family member is upgrading the PC. New flat screen and new tower modem. Currently have Orange Broadband, computer seems not to recognize new modem and there is no internet connection when new modem is connected. Any advice? We are not a computer literate family!!

Graham. 08:44 14 Jan 2008

Have you installed the software for the new modem?

birdface 08:58 14 Jan 2008

Have you tried switching the modem off for a minute.Then switching it back on.

mogymodem 09:06 14 Jan 2008

Gentlemen, I have just had a further talk with younger family member and the situation seems to be...new tower connected, new flat screen connected, but router/modem of our provider is not working for internet/broadband connection...message comes up that we need disc speed touch 330. Yet, we have not changed our provider, nor our package for internet/e-mail, all else stays the same. Please forgive my novice presenting of the problem, am senior citizen still learning this new territory.
Thank you for your responses.
mogeymodem

Graham. 09:10 14 Jan 2008

Sounds like they have a new PC. The drivers for the modem will need to be installed from the CD that Orange provided.

mogymodem 09:17 14 Jan 2008

Thank you for your response,Graham, would this be the disc supplied by orange with the router/modem when we switched to broadband? Sounds like that. We may have discarded that, but I will contact Orange to see if we can get another one.
Thank you all for your time and attention to my question. This is a great site. Will visit again later just to learn more from all you experts. Thanks again.
mogeymodem

Graham. 09:24 14 Jan 2008

One more thing - if the new PC is running Vista, tell Orange. The standard Speedtouch drivers may not be compatible with Vista.

mogymodem 09:39 14 Jan 2008

Hi Graham, yes, you are correct, the new package is Vista. Thanks, we will make sure to inform Orange of this. All your info has been very helpful. When next problem arises I now know where I can come to seek help and advice. Keep an eye out for me!
mogeymodem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone