Problem with starting my laptop

Stiperstones 17:30 25 Mar 2006

Hi,

I have a decent laptop (Medion,running on a Pentium 4 and XP Home) which worked great until recently. I now start it up and it runs through the usual process for 1st 20 seconds then the dreaded blue screen which starts with - "There is a problem..." with lots more text on it, which I can't read as it dissappears in less than 3 seconds! Then it commences the Memory Test which I let it run thro'. Finally I am given the usual 4 options (i) Start Normally (which just repeats the above process) (ii) Safe Mode which then gives me the Windows login screen but is so large I can only see the 4-coloured logo and can't move around anywhere else eve though I can seee the mouse. At this point I can only do a controlled shutdown with the on-off key! The other 2 options Safe Mode with Networking / with Command Prompt I haven't a clue about. I've tried the Last known good configuration - but to no avail. I have the Medion 'Product Recovery CD-Rom' but if I use this won;t I ose all data / drivers? Can anyone help me please? Mike

AndySD 17:35 25 Mar 2006

click here How to start the System Restore tool at a command prompt in Windows XP

Stiperstones 17:50 25 Mar 2006

Thanks, but no good. Pressing F8 (as mentioned on the Microsoft website) achieves nothing other than the large startup screen I mentioned - so I can't logon thro' that method. If I select the option Safe Mode with Command Prompt I get the same large screen as detailed above.
Mike

Stiperstones 17:55 25 Mar 2006

The microsoft website tells you to logon - I wish I could but I can't (the big screen??). Ideas anyone? Mike

VoG II 17:57 25 Mar 2006

Start in Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

At the > prompt type

C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

and press the Enter key. That should start System Restore.

AndySD 17:57 25 Mar 2006

On the large Start the Run then type in cmd and click OK (can you type into the command prompt box now)

Stiperstones 18:10 25 Mar 2006

Thanks for your feedback - it may sound daft but I can't access the command prompt - I'm never given the option (other than 'Safe Mode in Command Prompt' which leads me to the big screen where I can't see/do anything). So the question now is - any suggestions on other ways on how to access the command prompt as the computer goes through its start up procedures?

Mike

Stiperstones 18:11 25 Mar 2006

If I press F2 I can get the BIOS Utility screen up - is that any help to me? Mike

AndySD 07:46 26 Mar 2006

Nope

When you boot into safe mode can you right click on the desktop and choose Properties then Advanced and change the resolution?

Stiperstones 11:47 26 Mar 2006

Many thanks guys. I hooked up another monitor - could then see about 50% of the screen at restart. Then guessed the number of 'tabs' to the Start Menu; Run command and typed in your suggested string for the restore and the rest is history as they say.

My laptop is back in commission and without the usual £60 per hour I'm quoted.

I can't thank you guys enough. Best Regards, Mike.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?