Problem starting up

oneeyed 06:17 14 Apr 2006

When I turn on my computer it (usually) tells me that file is missing or corrupted. The file name is system32\DRIVERS\isapp.sys. The computer tells me to repair using the original CD which I do not have since I bought the computer secondhand. My question is what can I do about this. If I keep trying it will eventually start but can take 10 or 15 min. Using Win WP Service Pack 2

rawprawn 08:40 14 Apr 2006

Use a system File Check grom your Hard Drive

First make sure you have Folder 1386 in C: Drive,

Start, Run, 'regedit', OK.

Backup the Registry in case of trouble: File, Export (to a place of your choice).

Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsCurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries here on the right hand side. The one we want is called:

SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, and that is why it is asking for the XP CD. All we need to do is change it to:

C:
Simply double click the SourcePath setting and a new box will pop up allowing you to make the change.

Now restart your computer and try scannow sfc again!

Credits to a link posted by VoG™

rawprawn 08:43 14 Apr 2006

For system file check in case you don't know Start/Run/type sfc /scannow and hit enter
(watch the space between sfc and /)

oneeyed 10:02 14 Apr 2006

Thanks.
This seems to have done the trick - atleast Windows started with no problem after I had altered the registry entry. However when I try running scannow sfc it is asking for the Service Pack 2 CD, which again I don't have.

rawprawn 10:13 14 Apr 2006

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone