Problem with SMC WLAN card installation

bjk 08:51 03 Mar 2007

Hi, I have fixed up an older Dell Latitude laptop running Win ME, it works quite well. I am now trying to install a SMCWCB-G WLAN card to connect the Dell to my home network. This SMC card is supposed to work under all Windows OS from 98SE to XP, however, there is a strange thing regarding Win98/ME/200: The SMC installation guide says that cardbus specification is required, asking me to check the documents for the cardbus adapter driver before installing the SMC driver and utility software. This Dell has two slots/PCMCIA sockets, each with Texas Instruments PCI-1131 CardBus Controller. My problem is that I have no such documentation, this PCI1131 driver is obsolete, and I have not been able to find any documentation. This doc. is obviously needed, because if I install the SMC driver software directly in the normal way, the SMC card will not work, obviously I have to do some preparatory work which the documentation will tell me. Strange, I am quite confused, any experienced user having a suggestion?

Strawballs 09:32 03 Mar 2007

I have no experience with PCMCIA cards but you could use USB click here both teir own brand and the belkin ones will work with ME

bjk 10:20 03 Mar 2007

Strawballs, thanks for your response, yes, I could possibly use USB, maybe I end up with this, but I will continue looking some more time for this documentation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Graphic tees: 14 best websites to find your next T-shirt

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017