Problem at shutdown .

magnus35 11:10 11 Apr 2007

Windows XP SP2 .
I know very little about computers .

Last night I downloaded and installed the latest Windows updates , however , this may just be a coincidence .

At shutdown , a box appeared indicating that it was ending program AUSUpdateWTitle . It then said that the program was not responding and that ending it could cause any unsaved data to be lost . Ending it did not appear to cause any problems at the next startup but the program is obviously still running in the background as things have slowed down and the same thing happens on shutdown .

I believe that a solution may be to use msconfig to prevent the program from running at startup but am wary as I have no idea what it is or does .

A search of all , including hidden files and folders and program files , revealed nothing . I even Googled the name but still drew a blank . Calling up the Task Manager , using Ctrl,Alt,Del, or by right clicking the taskbar , displays only an empty box .

Can anyone tell me what this program is and suggest a course of action ?

anskyber 11:31 11 Apr 2007

Have a look at this. click here;f=33;t=000585;p=0

anskyber 11:32 11 Apr 2007

Sorry try this click here

anskyber 11:34 11 Apr 2007

A useful guide to msconfig click here

magnus35 13:14 11 Apr 2007

Thanks for the responses .
Unfortunately , I am no further forward .
Now , when trying to shut down , it appears that , as well as AUSUpdateWtitle , there is also another program running , DSAgnt.exe . I found this one and it is attributed to dell . What it is supposed to do is a mystery to me .

An AVG scan revealed nothing . I also use Spycatcher Express but it now seems to get slowed to a crawl . Normally , at the beginning of a scan , it will be 'compiling fingerprints' for about 2 minutes before running the scan , which takes about 20 minutes , however , it is now still 'compiling fingerprints' after 15 minutes and seems to almost stop . I haven't had the patience to wait all this time as it seemed to be slowing to a stop . I decided to try a system restore but it says that all programs should be exited first . The only way I can see to end these programs is at shutdown but that is no use as they wiil start again automatically at boot up .

Technotiger 13:18 11 Apr 2007

Hi, restart your pc in safe-mode - press f8 during startup - then try a System Restore again while in safe-mode.

anskyber 13:23 11 Apr 2007

Have you tried using msconfig to disable those programs at start up? If you need them you can always re enable them.

magnus35 14:37 11 Apr 2007

To anskyber - only the second program showed up in msconfig and it indicated dell in the description . I could not find any reference to AUSUpdateWTitle anywhere .

I managed to perform a system restore in safe mode - a first for me - still a lot to learn . After downloading the Windows updates again and the latest from AVG , things seem to be back to normal , although disc space has shrunk by 1.2Gb . When I navigated to this site again it didn't load quite as expected then a Spycatcher alert popped up to say that a suspicious program was trying to run , InCA9.exe , but they didn't have any information about it .

I frequently use AVG , Spycatcher Express , CCleaner and RegscrubXP and have not had much bother . Maybe it was my turn .

Thanks very much to all who helped , I'd be lost without you .
magnus35

Technotiger 14:43 11 Apr 2007

OK, as long as everything is working as it should I would not worry too much about the unexplained CA9, I couldn't find out anything about it either. Especially if you have run CCleaner etc.

Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?