Problem with SFC - using XP Pro SP3

xania 20:28 05 Aug 2009

Running SFC /Scannow, sywstem wants me to insert the install DVD. Of course this is only SP2 and my system has now been upgraded to SP3, so DVD not accepted. Short of uninstalling SP3, is tere any way around this problem, please?

lotvic 20:32 05 Aug 2009

Tell it to try again (about 3 times) and then to skip and continue.

You can check afterwards in Event Viewer for the things SFC failed on (at least I could on mine and it was just stuff that didn't matter that failed)

xania 17:45 06 Aug 2009

Thanks fo this. I tried as you suggested - loads of times Ihad to tell it to retry but it got to the end and now we'll see what happened. I might log something with MS but no dobt they'll ignore me.

BRYNIT 18:13 06 Aug 2009

You could try slipstreaming Xp and SP3 using nLite click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:22 06 Aug 2009

Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

In the right pane, double click SourcePath and change it to: C:\

Save, reboot and then try sfc again.

xania 16:22 08 Aug 2009

Unfortuantely, this had no effect.
I already had ServicePackCachePath set at c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\ServicePackCache and ServicePackSourcePath set at c:\windows\ServicePackFiles.

but SourcePath was set at N:\ and is now C:\ (yes I did reboot first).

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:26 08 Aug 2009

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SourcePath

make sure this entry is set correctly as well

woodchip 17:34 08 Aug 2009

XP is set to default to the CD drive when running SFC /scannow but it can be changed in the registry to go to the i386 folder if it is intalled on the Root of the "C" drive, If it is not installed you can copy/paste it from the OS/CD and you will not have to insert the OS/CD to run sfc /scannow, Additionally when you install a SP the files go to the C:\windows\ServicePackFiles folder and you can also make sure the registry points there for the latest files,,Here is how..

Start
Run
Regedit
Hkey local machine
software
microsoft
windows
current version
setup (highlight)
In the right pane you will see the two entries.
change the SourcePath value to C:\
ServicePackSourcePath should read C:\windows\servicePackFiles

Not mine

xania 14:31 10 Aug 2009

Fruit Bat /\0/\

I have now done a registry search for SourcePath and found one showing N:\I386 (strange, as my DVD player was changed from N:\ to Y:\ about a year ago so clearly I have another problem to resolve one day!!) which I changed to C:\. This was in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion - I did also try it a C:\I386.

In both cases no joy.

woodchip

Yes - it was already set correctly

dogbreath1 16:06 10 Aug 2009

Related query.

Does running sfc /scannow and directing the process to a saved copy of the I386 folder on your C:\ drive not pose a potential problem when the system disc is at SP2 and the system itself has been updated to SP3??

BRYNIT 17:21 10 Aug 2009

If the DVD drive was changed from N to Y after windows was installed this is why it cannot find the drive or the files. The registry does not change when you change the drive letter.

If you have installed any program from the DVD drive before you changed the drive letter from N to Y and it requires the installation disk to do a repair or uninstall you will have problems as it will always look for the drive letter used for the installation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?