Problem setting up wireless connection

blueranger 21:10 16 Jun 2008

I have been with Wanadoo using wireless for a number of years as I have a laptop. Today I moved to sky, connection using ethernet was straight forward but I wasnt able to set up new wireless link. I contacted sky and we went through troubleshoot process. They told me that no obvious problem, it must be down to encryption - not compatible. I was told to contact my computer manufacturer, but my pc is a time one and i think they are now out of business, however, the number i did find is £1 per minute. Was told to ask them to check SSID key.

If anyone has any ideas for me to get this resolved, i would really appreciate it.

Thank you

rambus 21:29 16 Jun 2008

hi blueranger, you will need to turn on your routers ssid, so your laptop can see the connection, then you can turn it off again if you wish, also your router will have a series of channels that it connects thru usualy numbered i to eleven, it might be that the channel you are using is no good even though laptop tells you the signal is good, if so pick another untill you connect with a good signal, trial and error im afraid.
just had a very similar experiece this weekend setting up a new laptop myself.

L8-tian 16:40 17 Jun 2008

Hi,
As i understand the laptop was working fine with Wanadoo.. After switched to sky, you are facing troubles with wireless connection.

obviously there is problem in Sky.I suggest to change some settings like ssid, channel, mode and encryption.

Ssid:any name you like.
channel:Try with channel 1 or 11 or 13.
mode:G and B.
encryption:disable.(no encryption).

then check whether you able to connect to your network wirelessly.

if you are not able to connect wireless, check the firmware version for the sky. if it is older one, upgrade it to latest.
(OR)
If you able to connect, then set the encryption and try to connect.

After upgarding the firmware version to latest one and there is no encryption, still problem in connecting wireless, try with different laptop.
If you are not connect wireless from second laptop, Am sure there is problem with SKy.

I hope this helps u :-)

dawood 16:58 17 Jun 2008

You need to configure <a href="click here">wireless router</a> properly, then configure <a href="click here">wireless adapter</a> to match the wireless setting on the wireless router. It's not that difficult to set it up.. Hope it helps..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?