Problem setting up wireless connection

PBE 16:51 05 Sep 2006

I've recently bought a Fujitsu laptop and Netgear DG834G router. I get an internet connection fine via fixed LAN, but can't connect to internet wirelessly.

My laptop does recognise the Netgear router and connection is there but I think the problem is that I have an invaild IP address in the laptop. I don't however know how to set up the IP address which currently shows as 0000. there's nothing showing in the 'default gateway' section and nothing happens when I click on repair.

Can anyone help please - its driving me round the bend!

ade.h 17:08 05 Sep 2006

click here

If you want to try manual assignment, disable the DHCP server in the router and the DHCP Client service on every client (obviously, it's all or nothing). Then enter your IPs into the properties of TCP/IP, accessed via the properties of each LAN adapter.

PBE 17:33 05 Sep 2006

Ade- thanks for this. I'm not too tech savvy though. How do I disable the DHCP? I only have one laptop that I'm trying to connect to the router at this time.
Sounds like you might have the solution - but can you take me through it in a little more detail - will be eternally grateful!!

^wave^ 17:43 05 Sep 2006

on the laptop go my network places select network connections then select wireless connection go to properties select tcpip and properties selcect obtain ip address automatically and dns automatically press ok and ok till you get back to my network places. dont havre any security set and see if you can get a connection if you can then set up the security for the wirless connection

ade.h 17:45 05 Sep 2006

The options to obtain the IP and DNS automatically are checked by default.

ade.h 17:52 05 Sep 2006

Enter the router's config first and disable the DHCP server. Do this over a wired link, with your wireless link disabled. Apologies if that is obvious, but I just want to be sure that you do this properly.

Then enter a new IP if the Netgear config requires this. I don't often use Netgears, so I can't remember off hand whether it does or not. In your case, use 192.168.0.2, as the Netgear starting IP is 192.168.0.1. Apply that and if the connection fails, don't worry.

Power down the router.

Reboot the client. Run services.msc and disable the DHCP Client service. Enter the TCP/IP proterties of the WLAN adapter via Net.Conn. and enter your IP.

Boot the router. Wait a while. Reboot the client. Switch on the adapter again. Connect. See if it works.

Above all, please refer to your PDF manual at all times, as this must take precedence. As I said, I tend not to encounter Netgears very often.

^wave^ 17:58 05 Sep 2006

i must say the settings i have described do work for this router as i use the same one

ade.h 18:08 05 Sep 2006

As they would for most people. But as I'm sure you know, sometimes we encounter routers and clients whose DHCP interface is just not playing ball, as evidenced in this case by the client's inability to get an IP assigned to it and the absence of the default gateway IP (192.168.0.1). When the DG IP is absent from ipconfig, that shows that the router's DHCP server is not working as it should. In these circumstances, there is no cast iron guarantee that PBE will even be able to access the config UI.

ade.h 18:10 05 Sep 2006

You'll need to enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP if it is not already active. Go to the Advanced button on TCP/IP properties, go to WINS and enable it from there.

PBE 18:31 05 Sep 2006

Wave - done as said but nothing I'm afraid.
Ade - sure this sounds totally dum but where do I enter the routers config? If I can get there then even I must be able to follow from there...!

ade.h 18:52 05 Sep 2006

192.168.0.1 in a browser's address bar, preferably over a wired LAN. Like you did when you started configuring the router when you first got it.

You won't be able to follow any of my other advice until you can get into the config to check the DHCP server.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The 12 best apps for drawing and painting on your iPad

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?