Problem sending email with Thunderbird and BT

playmofire 09:16 06 Sep 2008

I'm using Thunderbird email and have BTinternet as my ISP. Suddenly from late last night (Friday) I can receive emails but not send them. Trying to send an email, I get the message:

Sending of message failed

The message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server smtp.btinternet.com failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections. Please verify that your SMTP server setting is correct and try again, or else contact your network administrator.

My server setting looks OK, so has anyone else had this problem with btinternet in the past 24 hours, please?

Roger_Cornwell 16:02 07 Sep 2008

BT seem to have ceased the address smtp.btinternet.com without warning. This happened to me, and I checked their current documentation which says that their SMTP server is mail.btinternet.com so I changed my settings and I found I could send mail again.

I think that a similar situation applies to smtp.btopenworld.com which should be changed to mail.btopenworld.com

The Kestrel 17:20 07 Sep 2008

I also use Thunderbird and have just checked my outgoing server settings for BT internet. Like Roger_Cornwell, my outgoing server is listed as mail.btinternet.com.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?