Problem with security centre

Meshuga 18:03 27 May 2007

every time I boot up I get a balloon pop up by the task bar telling me that my pc is at risk because my antivirus is turned off and I should click on a little red shield in thetask bar to correct it. I do so and check in the Security Centre and I find it is turned on but I can find no means of keeping this turned on permanently, as it always has been. I have run scans to see if there are any nasties causing this to happen but the come up clear. How can I stop this turning off each time I shut down? Please!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:04 27 May 2007

XP?
What AV are you using?

Meshuga 18:12 27 May 2007

Hi Fruit Bat, sorry , should have said, XPhome sp2, Norton AV which is the one turning off, which came installed with pc 4 years ago. Its played up like this in the past and I used to go into security centre and turn it on and it stayed that way but I can`t find a way of doing it now.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:22 27 May 2007

Sorry don't use Norton

I think it is a setting in Norton to tell windows it is being used.

wee eddie 19:24 27 May 2007

You need a newer version of Norton.

Although it's AV Database is up to date, it's ability to deal with Viruses will no longer be effective. Viruses have moved on.

Use the Norton Removal tool and download one of the Free ones. Whichever, say AVG.

Meshuga 20:03 27 May 2007

Thanks wee eddie, will have to do that ,I reckon.At the moment I can`t do much because of the booting up problem. I`ve emailed my local engineer that I use and asked him to call and will see what he can do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?