Problem saving Word Document

sharpe 13:24 04 Aug 2006

I was doing some editing the other night and had finished and saved the document (a large one), safely I thought.

Then I shut down the whole computer, and an error message came up saying that WORD.EXE failed.

I cancelled it and thought nothing of it, but on logging on again last night I found signs that the editing I'd done hadn't been saved. Is there any way I can get the edited version back? Was it because word.exe crashed?

Diemmess 14:24 04 Aug 2006

Word is pretty stable though very long or complex documents do rather push it.
I think you have lost the edited work this time.

Have you tried Tools > Options > Save and setting the time between auto saves?

There is the option of Master documents (which I have never needed to use and don't understand) but imagine this is a way of coping with smaller chunks of the whopper at a time.

Word may have been cut off while it was saving or closing and simply lost it.
I have had this happen in other apps where RAM was at a premium because I was doing a montage or playing with all sorts of imports into a different application.
Whatever, when the smoke has cleared all the recent work has disappeared.

As grumpyguts suggested Save frequently and if it is that important "Save_As something else now and then.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:36 04 Aug 2006

Agree with all of the above however if you are lucky the temporay document may still be in the temp folders do a search for files starting $

sharpe 15:08 04 Aug 2006

Thanks for your help!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?